Beatrice (ベアトリス) is a member of the Emilia Camp and the former caretaker of the Forbidden Library at Roswaal's Mansion, until its destruction in the climax of Arc 4. She is one of the main supporting characters in Re:Zero, with an especially large role in Arc 4.
She is an artificial spirit created by the Witch of Greed for unknown reasons. 400 years ago, she was told to wait in the library for "That Person" who would grant her salvation. However, in Arc 4's climax, Subaru convinced her to live and she became his contracted spirit.
On the outside, Beatrice seems like a lovely young girl around the age of eleven or twelve. Her face is so sweet that Subaru believed there was no heart that wouldn't melt at the sight of a genuine smile of hers. Her large sky-blue eyes have pink butterfly patterns as their irises that may have denoted her relation to the Witch of Greed. Beatrice's pale cream-colored hair is worn long and tied into frilly vertical drill-shaped twin tails that act like springs when pulled on. In the anime adaptation, the tips of Betty's twin tails are dyed pink.
Most of the time, the Great Spirit of the Forbidden Library can be seen wearing a pink frilly ornate dress with white trimmings and an exposed front that leave her legs visible, and are completely covered by pink and purple vertically-striped tights. A petite crown is also sported on the right side of Beatrice's large head, serving as a nice accessory which complements her appearance rather perfectly. Beatrice also wears pink shoes with butterfly straps on her feet, and has a large pink ribbon adorned upon the left side of her waist and a pair of similar ribbons tied at the top of her twin tails.
Beatrice generally looks down on others and is bad at dealing with people who try to get close to her. Despite being full of bravado, she's a lonely person, and is softhearted beyond her perceived stubbornness. She is affectionate towards Puck because of their similarities and favors him over the others in the Roswaal household.
She has a distinct way of speaking, adding "I suppose" (かしら, kashira) and "in fact" (のよ, no yo) at the end of some of her sentences.
Beatrice is Subaru's contracted Artificial Spirit and a member of the Emilia Camp. Beatrice is an Artificial Spirit created by The Witch of Greed Echidna over 400 years ago. She calls Echidna her mother and never questioned her decisions. Beatrice is never honest with her feelings.
She met the original Ryuzu Meyer and became friends with her, however, everything started to change when the Warlock of Melancholy Hector attacked the Sanctuary. Echidna was able to fend off his attack however she doubted that she would be able to do it another time.
To protect everyone in the Sanctuary, Ryuzu offered to use herself to speed up the process of putting up the barrier around Sanctuary, Beatrice wasn't able to stop her, and this still hurt her 400 years later, that she lost her first friend. Before Hector could attack again Echidna told Beatrice to use her Door Crossing to connect her library to Roswaal's mansion, as she wanted the knowledge she had collected to survive, Beatrice wanted to stay and help her mother, but Echidna said even if she were to, her chance of winning wouldn't improve much. Echidna told Beatrice to protect the library until "they" showed up to bring her out of the library, she was also given a gospel, an imperfect version of the Book of Wisdom.
Throughout the centuries many people tried to take her out of the library, but they were all interested in the knowledge in the Forbidden Library or using Beatrice as she is a great spirit. Beatrice began to close her heart, doubting that "they" would ever show up. Subaru irritated her, as he was different from the rest, he wasn't interested in the library or her as a spirit, and so she wanted him to leave the mansion as he would usually causally walk into the library and talk about random stuff. Beatrice was starting to feel again and it scared her.
Deep down she wanted Subaru to be "they" but she was sure he wasn't and her gospel said nothing about him being "they". The isolation of following her mother's instructions for 400 years eventually got to her and she wanted to be released from her suffering, and as such she became suicidal, she was unable to kill herself, so she wanted someone to do it for her. Subaru refused to let her die, he refused to be her "they" who never showed up, and was determined to get her out of the library as her eyes clearly said that she was lonely. After numerous and painful attempts to convince her to leave the library Subaru succeeded, and Beatrice became his contract spirit.
Beatrice is a master of Yin Magic and is capable of casting all kinds of Yin Magic spells, even those that have been long since forgotten by people in the present. She is capable of doing various things through it such as teleportation, freezing time, tearing space, and fixating her existence. At the prime of her power, Beatrice's magic was capable of fighting the Beast of the End. Her battle strength allowed her to easily overpower the Bowel Hunter Elsa Granhiert, a woman with exceptional lethality in her own right. However, after her and Subaru's debut battle with the Oousagi, Beatrice used up all the mana she had accumulated in her four centuries of residing in Roswaal Manor, making it impossible for her to use any spells aside from the most basic ones, rendering her borderline useless in combat.
- Shamak (シャマク): One of the most basic Yin Magic spells, which even Subaru could use until the collapse of his gate, was Shamak. When cast, a blanket of black smoke would erupt from the user that would cover a significantly large area. Any target engulfed by the smoke would completely lose their spacial awareness. Under the spell's effect, the only thing the target could sense was the ground under their feet and any damage done to their body. Although it was a low-level spell, it proved an effective smokescreen when retreating. Naturally, due to her mastery of Yin Magic, Beatrice is capable of conjuring Shamak.
- El Shamak (エル・シャマク): Beatrice's target becomes unable to control their bodies while under its effects.
- Ul Shamak (ウル・シャマク): Covers the area in darkness making the opponent unable to tell anything while under its effect, such as where they are sitting or standing, whether or not they are conscious, whether they are breathing in or out, dead or alive, whether they still retained human shape, how to move their arms, who they are etc. Those affected by it can be snapped out of its effects by being hit really hard.
- Al Shamak (アル・シャマク): Al Shamak is capable of bending space and time. It is capable of sending its target to a different location in the world or, in some cases, even to a different dimension.
- Door Crossing (扉渡り Tobirawatari): Door Crossing connects its space to the interior of a single building, otherwise to the place Beatrice most recently knew. It can't connect over especially long ranges, however even if it's long range, if she has deep ties to a place, Door Crossing can connect to it. She can also use a limited version to teleport things.
- Infinite Corridor: Causes a spatial loop where the target or targets will wander through a repeating hallway until they find the right door.
- Barrier Conjuration: Using Magic, Beatrice could conjure a wall of invisible magical energy. The wall would deflect any magical attack that fell upon it, keeping the caster and their allies safe from physical damage, Beatrice was first seen in Arc 2 generating a Magical Shield to defend against Ram's Wind Magic.
- Minya (ミーニャ): Beatrice's magic that creates stakes made of crystallized mana covered with light purple flames. They are strong enough to penetrate defenses. Any stakes in the air explode and release smaller stakes that fly in all directions which then rips its targets apart.
- El Minya (エル・ミーニャ): Same as Minya, except the number of stakes increases to 40.
- UI Minya (ウル・ミーニャ): Beatrice creates a purple ring of light around the target that shrinks and binds them, subsequently spreading across their body. Once the target is bound, a huge purple-blue light appears above them to destroy them. The effect is currently unknown as Beatrice's attempt was stopped partway through.
- Murak (ムラク): Beatrice reduces the effects of gravity. Just by jumping lightly, a person can jump as if they had springs. If Beatrice wishes to, it can also be used to fly, although Beatrice will get blown around by the wind like a leaf, but they won't flip around in midair.
- Vita (ヴィータ): Contrary to Murak, Beatrice uses this spell to amplify the effects of gravity, making an object heavier.
- El Vita (エル・ヴィータ): Beatrice used this spell to increase Subaru's weight for roughly 100 additional kilograms, enabling him to withstand the Crimson Scorpion's attack.
- Healing Magic: Beatrice summons water mana to heal the wounds of herself and others, however it only affects physical ones. Power varies by the skill and talent of the individual or partially that of the spirit if the caster is using Spirit Arts. Beatrice is highly skilled in this to the point she can regenerate lost organs.
- E・M・M (エミリアたんマジ女神 Emiria-tan Maji Megami, "Emilia-tan is Seriously a Goddess"): E・M・M is an "absolute defence magic". Beatrice uses Yin Magic to interfere with the time and space around Subaru, and while he can't move during activation, he experiences no interference from outside the barrier. It is similar to Regulus Corneas' Lion's Heart, but doesn't have the same risk, renders Subaru and Beatrice unable to move and can be used until mana runs out.
- E・M・T (エミリアたんマジ天使 Emiria-tan Maji Tenshi, "Emilia-tan is Seriously an Angel"): E・M・T is an "absolute negation magic." A spherical field several ten meters long with Subaru and Beatrice at the center is created, which negates effects from mana within it. Julius remarks that it is useful against mages and those who use mana to assist their techniques. However, the magic only negates the use of mana, and so it has no effect against opponents who fight without it.
Decurseifcation: She can detect and remove curses.
Mana Drain: Beatrice can absorb mana from any target via touch and instantaneously transfer it to herself. She is the only one besides Puck that knows this skill, though Reinhard has shown a similar ability at the end of Arc 1.
Intelligence: Being over 400 years old, Beatrice has vast amounts of knowledge on a variety of subjects, and is always reading books in her library. Beatrice is also really excellent with magical power theories and using them. Her knowledge on Yin Magic far surpasses Roswaal's own.
Contract Spirit: Beatrice is currently contracted with Subaru, though according to her, he isn't a true Spirit User. She also has a terrible mana consumption rate and formerly got around this by draining mana from people in the mansion while using the library as a medium. As she is an Artificial Spirit, she also has several conditions Subaru is forced to follow:
- Subaru cannot form a contract with other Spirits.
- Beatrice cannot restore mana on her own.
- Beatrice cannot use the mana in the atmosphere.
- Beatrice can only drain mana from Subaru.
400 years ago, Echidna gave Beatrice one of the two complete copies of her Book of Wisdom. The Book itself looks exactly like the incomplete Witch Cult's Gospel although this one was far more specific, when it came to guiding the owner towards their desired path, resembling Echidna's very own, perfect Book of Wisdom more than the aforementioned Witch Cult's Gospels. Soon after Beatrice received the Book and locked herself into the Forbidden Library, her Book's pages turned blank, leaving Beatrice in the dark for centuries. At last, Subaru saved Beatrice from the burning library, in which, her Book of Wisdom was completely lost.
- Her appearance is set. So even if she changes her hairstyle, it will revert back to the drill-like pigtails.
- Beatrice shares the same attribute with Subaru, which is why they're highly compatible in terms of being a spirit and contractor.
- She used to rarely show up for dinner, but ever since Subaru arrived and after the events of the demon beast incident, she has been showing up more frequently.
- The author has stated that her birthday is a spoiler.
- Beatrice kept her Gospel hidden within the stepladder where she was normally seen sitting.
- Just like Emilia, Beatrice is tone deaf.
- The author once mentioned that Beatrice has a small chance of beating Puck in a serious fight though Puck is the most likely victor.
- Beatrice loves everything that tastes sweet.
- In Arc 5, it is mentioned that Subaru has given Beatrice an allowance, though it isn't specified how much the allowance is.
- She's one of the very few people in the Re:Zero world who can somewhat use Teleportation magic. Alongside her, Echidna and unnamed Witch Cult members, no one else holds the capabilities to display such type of magic.
- The first living being Beatrice killed was a Silver Dragon, roughly three years after her creation/birth.