This page is about the Artificial Spirit. For the Witch of Greed, see Echidna.
A clone of the original Echidna that lacks her memories, she met Anastasia by pure chance. After Julius had his name eaten in Arc 5, Anastasia allowed her to possess her as to not forget him. In Arc 6, she guided Subaru and his companions to the Pleiades Watchtower. In the arc's climax, she gave Anastasia her body back, causing her to forget Julius but also allowing the two to start over.
Echidna takes the appearance of a white fox with snow white hair and sharp black eyes, though she usually takes the form of Anastasia's scarf.
Similar to her creator Echidna, the Artificial Spirit Echidna speaks, sounds, and acts just like the witch herself, however she has no memories of her past aside from her name. Because of this, Subaru refers to her as Eridna (scarfdna). She's also shown to deeply care about Anastasia, going to extreme lengths to make sure no one would find out about their condition. During Julius' fight with Reid Astrea, Echidna forced Anastasia's soul back into her body so she could witness her knight's resolve and subsequent win over the First Generation's Sword Saint.
Whilst it is known that Echidna the witch created Echidna the artificial spirit and the artificial spirit being a clone of the original Echidna that lacks her memories, the exact purpose of the artificial spirit's creation and what happened afterwards to her prior to meeting Anastasia is unknown. However, Spirit Echidna states that she felt like the purpose of her birth was completed the second she was born.
Nine years before Natsuki Subaru's summoning, Capella, as the leader of the Assassin Organization, tasked a former slave named Reisel with retrieving an object relating to the legacy of the Witches. The object in question was a fox-like artificial spirit created by the Witch of Greed roughly four centuries prior. Echidna met Anastasia eleven years before the story after finding her enclosed within a wooden box that had been delivered to her in some cargo. Echidna ended up becoming Anastasia's consultant because she was intrigued by her.
During the events of Arc 5, Echidna was forced to take Anastasia over when she overused magic through her defective gate. She was unable to leave her body for a while, but eventually separated with her.
Possession: In emergencies, Echidna can overwrite her existence onto Anastasia's od, making her able to temporarily borrow her body, and by doing so, she can use the mana inside of Anastasia's body to use magic.
Magic User (魔法使い Maho Tsukai): Echidna can use Yang Magic while borrowing Anastasia's body.
- Jiwald (ジワルド): Jiwald is a Yang Element magic that allows Echidna to fire heat rays from her fingers.
- El Jiwald (エル・ジワルド): Echidna fires several rays from her fingers which are then brought down in a claw-like motion.
Anti-Recognition (認識阻害 Ninshiki sogai): The mechanism which Echidna can suppress others being able to recognize her true form. This ability doesn't work on Anastasia herself due to her defective Gate.
- Echidna's name refers to 42355 Typhon I Echidna, 42355 Typhon's moon and a companion to a binary asteroid. In Greek mythology, Echidna is a monster who was the mate of Typhon.
- Echidna is indirectly stated to be the second artificial spirit created by Echidna the witch, Puck being the first and Beatrice being the last.
- "Of the artificial spirits that were created by the "Witch" Echidna, in which Beatrice is included, only 3 exist in the world. The first of which is Puck, and the last is Beatrice." Beatrice's Everyone is Troublesome, I Suppose: Section 2.