Emilia (エミリア) is the main heroine of the Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu series. She is a Half Elf and a candidate to become the 42nd King of Lugnica. After Arc 4, Subaru officially becomes her knight.
Emilia is a beautiful Half Elf with long silver hair and purple blue eyes. She wears a white and purple outfit along with a white flower in her hair. Throughout the series, she has styled her hair in a variety of ways.
When Emilia still lived in Elior Forest and was younger, she had a different set of clothes, with the same color pattern. She had a light green ribbon instead of her necklace, a different flower in her hair, and a hairband in her hair.
Emilia is good natured and likes to take care of others, though she herself refuses to admit it, instead thinking of it as her own selfishness. As a result, this often has Emilia avoid opening up to others and sharing her burdens to a very stubborn degree. She is indifferent to her own appearance, leaving Puck to take care of her clothes and hair. Because her appearance is similar to the Witch of Envy, she has received harsh discrimination from others.
She has a tendency to use a lot of antiquated words that you would only hear out of an old person. On rare occasions, Emilia will let out her childish side when faced with something very unfamiliar to her because up until a few years ago she was unacquainted with the social norms of the outside world beyond the woods she used to live in alongside other elves. Despite this, she adapts quickly and still works hard to become a king.
About a century ago, Emilia lived with her aunt on her father's side in Elior Forest. Back then for reasons not known to her she was considered a rather special child spent most of her days isolated from the other eleven villagers in a place called the "Princess Room" with only Fortuna, her doll and spirits for company. While she normally obeyed her aunt and loved her, deep down a part of Emilia resented her and the village for stripping her of freedom, constantly hiding things from her. Eventually, young Emilia's frustrations reached a boiling point and in an act of defiance, she breaks her promise to not leave her room in order to gain her freedom. Free to do what she wanted and not hold obligations that were never explained to her, Emilia would sneak out on many occasions while hiding the fact, doing everything from exploring to behaving mischievously as these were the times she would not have played the obedient "good girl" which helped in relieving her of loneliness. Until the day she met Geuse in a chance encounter whom she formed a strong friendship and whom would act not unlike something like a father figure. One day, Pandora and Regulus Corneas attacked Elior Forest to open the Seal within the deepest part of it, following into the death of Fortuna, the madness of Geuse. Emilia enraged when she saw the corpse of Fortuna who was killed by Pandora's powers and froze the whole forest, along with the citizens and Emilia herself. Emilia would blame herself for what happened as a consequence of breaking the taboos of the forest for personal desires and choosing to oppose Pandora to keep her promise with Fortuna which led to losing her aunt and Geuse.
Over seven years before the start of the selection, Puck unfroze Emilia and began to live with her in the now snow-covered Elior Forest. Exposed to the outside world for some time now, Emilia came to face the hostile reality of what it meant to be a half-elf in the world, especially one with her appearance. From that time on, she suffered many hardships, not just from neighborhood human towns that feared her, hated her, betrayed her, and attempted to sell her into slavery but even from higher beings such as The Great Spirit of Fire who sought to exterminate her for the crime of her existence and dangerous power that slept on within her. Because of these issues, Emilia minimized any contact with outsiders, sticking to a frugal life by only leaving the forest to trade the magic stones she could find within with people willing to deal with her in humans' towns for food and clothing. Humans who called her the "Witch of Frost" mostly tried to avoid her when she came around, but other than these excursions, Emilia would otherwise stay with the frozen elves as a guardian as they were connected to her past. After the harrowing incident with Melakuera, Emilia formed a contract with Puck to preserve his life after his Od had been damaged. Puck then began to act as her surrogate father and mentor. Puck used the contract itself to seal parts of her memories that had been tampered with by Pandora.
A year before Subaru arrived she and Puck encountered Roswaal, the first human who didn't react negatively to her appearance. He then invited her to the Royal Selection after being chosen by the Dragon by giving her a way to save the citizens of Elior Forest, by using the dragon blood. Though now after experiencing the harsh state that she and other demi-humans have gone through, she also hopes to become a ruler that can mend relations between them and humans that the Witch of Envy destroyed with her reign of terror long ago.
Spirit Affinity: Emilia has a rare innate gift to form contracts with spirits.
Spirit User (精霊使い Seirei Tsukai): Emilia is currently contracted with several Quasi Spirits and was formerly contracted with the Artificial Spirit Puck. During the incident at the Sanctuary, Puck broke his contract with her, causing her existing pendant to shatter, and she temporarily carried him around in a crystal stone that wasn't pure enough for her to use him properly. She later replaces her pendant with a new high purity crystal stone following the events at Priestella, however she states that she still doesn't have enough mana to form a new contract. Puck himself was a Human before he was made into an Artificial Spirit by Echidna and has some sort of contract with her that seals his former memories unless a certain condition is met. Some of Emilia's contract conditions are:
- He will be active only from 9 am to 5 pm
- Do not ask his relationship with Beatrice
- Do not look into a mirror or go near a large body of water
- Do not hide the fact that you are a half-elf
- He will choose your hairstyle every morning
- Groom his fur regularly
- Have some exercise when you wake up and before going to bed.
- Do not be picky about food
- Talk with lesser spirits every morning and evening
Spirit Arts (精霊術): Emilia is capable of using this with Puck and her other spirits. Emilia and Puck can smoothly alternate between roles of offense and defense leading to devastating results. These include changing the atmosphere in the sky to rain down multitudes of ice spears, forming ice clones that are capable of attacking and using magic, instantly conjuring giant freezing blade discs, mist barriers that hide her presence and ice shields. On top of that Emilia is contracted to several Quasi Spirits; she can use them for various applications such as healing.
Equipment : Emilia wields a magical crystal known as a Pyroxene Crystal (輝石結晶). After the fight between Roswaal and Ram, she received another Pyroxene Crystal from Subaru, which he got from Frederica Baumann. Currently, she keeps Puck within it and now is able to control the Lewes Meyer Copies to serve her.
Magic User: Following the trials, Emilia remembered that she could use magic without Puck, and becomes able to use it again. It also made her aware of the abnormal amount of mana flowing through her. She is able to use ice magic through her natural fire attribute like her aunt Fortuna, to convert heat into ice.
- Huma (ヒューマ): Emilia creates a shining water barrier that blocks other projectiles and sorts of magic. However, if the incoming magic is stronger than the shield it will get through it and cause damage to the user.
- UI Huma (ウル・ヒューマ): Emilia summons massive ice pillars from thin air and hurls to it's target. It's capable of destroying an entire building.
- Al Huma (アル・ヒューマ): Emilia creates a sharp ten meter long spear of ice. The spear can also be modified to trap enemies.
- Ice Brand Arts (アイスブランドアーツ): This technique allows Emilia to instantly conjure ice made weapons which she can use and freely manipulate in close-quarters combat. The weapons are very sturdy and are even capable of withstanding heat.
- Ice Brand Arts: Icicle Line (アイスブランドアーツ、アイシクルライン): Emilia creates a limited area barrier made of ice particles around her opponent which she uses to attack in all directions by transforming them into weapons. Subaru helped in create the idea for this move.
- Ice Flower (氷の花): Emilia creates flowers made of ice on wounds of living beings within a certain area that suck the host's life force and bloom by sucking the host's blood. Seven years ago, Emilia couldn't control the effect area and stop it properly. Puck had to use his powers to terminate it.
Melee Fighter: While she leans more on the magical side, Emilia is also apt at close-quarters combat. Like Garfiel rather than having a known practiced form, she is a more instinctual fighter, relying on her body's natural talents such as its high nimbleness, sharp senses and above-average physical strength combined with her magical arts. This creates her own unique style.
- According to the author, Emilia's birthday is September 23.
- She's terrible at singing due to being tone deaf.
- As she is fairly clumsy in her private life, Emilia is also bad at art, but likes it regardless. Crafts in particular.
- She considers Fortuna her ideal woman or role model and even gets her verbal tics from her.
- Fortuna's sanpakugan is Emilia's favorite physical feature of her. Subaru also shares these type of eyes.
- In this short story, Emilia learned the phrase "it's better to hear thank you than sorry" from Geuse which she still kept to heart even after she had forgotten about him.
- Due to the hardships she went through because of it, after awakening Emilia began to hate her own appearance and to an extent, she would subconsciously avoid mirrors. Puck noticing her deep mental trauma would remove anything reflective from her vicinity and stipulated it as part of their contract.
- Emilia created a map of Elior Forest which she spent over seven years making.
- Aside from the pyroxene she traded, Emilia also pawned off trinkets and other things she found which she didn't need to human villages. An incident of this ilk started the conflict present in Bond of Ice.