Felix Argyle (フェリックス・アーガイル), commonly known as Ferris (フェリス), is Crusch Karsten's knight. Debuting in Arc 3, he played a rather vital role as Crusch's knight and supported Subaru in his fight against the Hakugei and Sin Archbishop of Sloth. Though not present in the following 4th Arc, he reappeared in Arc 5 and yet again played a vital role for Crusch's character development.
Ferris has flax colored hair and yellow eyes. His casual wear consists of a blue collar with a ribbon, a blue dress, black tights, blue leggings, blue shoes, white arm covers, and a blue scarf tied around his right arm.
Ferris' cat like appendages are a result of his ancestors having Demi-Human blood and because of this, he was mistreated by his parents. The white and blue ribbons that he wears in his hair are a gift from Crusch and he always wears them no matter what he's wearing.
Ferris usually refers to himself in third person, calling himself Ferri-chan (フェリちゃん), though he will refer to himself as Ferris, Felix, or with female pronouns depending on the situation. He is absolutely loyal to Crusch and will do anything she says, however he will oppose her if needed. He also enjoys teasing other people, especially those that are surprised that he's male, using cutesy language and gestures to agitate them.
Although he hides it through his actions and words, Ferris has a severe view on death and values due to his job as a healer, leading him to hold those who no longer have any will to live in contempt from the bottom of his heart. He also hates weaklings because of his complex, causing him to hate Subaru for a while, however he lets go of his feelings against him after seeing his actions during the battle against the Hakugei.
Ferris can get emotional when it comes to Crusch, such as the time when she was infected by Capella's dragon blood, becoming visibly stressed by her poor condition and even going as far as to demand to see a captured Sirius so he could torture her to gain information on how to cure her. He is constantly thankful for Crusch and everything that she's done for him in her life.
From the moment Ferris was born, he had cat like appendages due to his ancestors having Demi-Human blood, causing his parents to mistreat him as they suspected an affair. He was locked in the basement of the Argyle Mansion for the first nine years of his life and was barely cared for. When Crusch found him, she described him as "a fragile boy who was painfully thin, was black from being covered in dirt and filth, and couldn't talk properly". He was subsequently taken to the Karsten Mansion to be cared for and made Crusch attendant while his parents lost what little standing they had with the Karsten family, leading to their decline.
In the following years to come Ferris would establish a strong sense of loyalty and devotion towards Crusch for taking him from the hell that was his life before and base part of his new identity on that relationship. He also came to befriend Fourier Lugnica a little while after the prince met Crusch. Together 3 would get into all kinds of mischief that defined much of their friendship.
At age 18, Ferris would join the Royal Guard under recommendations from Fourier and Royal Institute of Healing. Although he wanted to be of better use to Crusch, Ferris at first was not very comfortable in being the elite group for several reasons, he stood out due to his odd features marking him as a Demi-Human, his preference for wearing women's clothing, his own lacking combat abilities and lastly dissatisfaction of his unusual and sudden appointment despite all that from the other knights. However, on the first day, he also came to be acquainted with Reinhard van Astrea and Julius Juukulius which would be the first step in breaking the wall between Ferris and his new environment. Through his good relationship with both of them and the subtle opportunities to display his worth crafty granted by Marcos Gildark, Ferris would come to earn the respect of the other knights for saving their lives with his magic. This would come to give him a sense of his abilities and place there.
In the last month of his probationary period in the Royal Guard, before he became a permanent member, dark rumors surrounding his old family would reach his ears via Fourier. Learning that Crusch had gone to investigate them, Ferris – together with Fourier and Julius – would rush back to the Karsten estate to learn the truth of the situation. After their arrival, things would take a turn for worse when they learn that Crusch had been captured and her men were engaged with an undead army outside the Argyle Manor. Ferris would also receive a message from his father that would demand he came to Argyle estate alone in exchange for Crusch's life. Returning to Argyle mansion for the first time in nearly a decade, Ferris would confront his father and a maid named Hannah who he felt a familiar connection to. Following a cold reunion, Ferris would acquiesce to his father's demand to revive his mother with the Argyle family's ancient spell called the Sacrament of the Immortal King. However, when Ferris was brought to the master bedroom, and examined his mother's corpse he would come to the shocking conclusion that she was murdered due to numerous and frenetic stab wounds in her body, partially thanks to Biehn's meticulous preservation. After a tense argument between Ferris and Biehn, the later would lose his composure and admit his guilt in the matter. Eventually realizing any further discussion was pointless, Ferris revived the woman. The spell, however, ended up being a partial failure as despite his mother seemingly coming back with some part of her personality, she was but a walking corpse without her former soul. Moreover, the now undead mother would kill Biehn as they embraced, then crumbled into ash a moment later. Hannah would then reveal to Ferris where Crusch was being held and that she had already freed her from her bonds. Just as Ferris raced out of the room, he would hear the locking and smoke coming from the room. Despite his protest, Hannah would not open the door choosing to die along with her master and mistress. The event marked a scar on Ferris' heart and he developed deep hate for those who easily gave up their lives. He would meet Crusch and Julius in the foyer of the manor, relieved but utterly distraught by the whole event and escape the burning building with them.
After the incident, Fourier would collapse from a mysterious illness and Ferris would spend over a month looking after him. Desperate and frustrated at the lack of progress, Ferris would consider using the Sacrament of the Immortal King to revive him after death but Fourier would forbid it, as he wanted to be allowed to die on his own terms if that was the case. They share a sombre heart to heart moment and Fourier would pass away a couple of days later. On that same day, Ferris would take his oath of knighthood to Crusch to support her and Fourier's memory.
Divine Protection (加護 Kago): Ferris has the Divine Protection of Water (水の加護 Mizu no Kago), which makes him highly skilled at Water Magic.
Magic User (魔法使い Maho Tsukai): Ferris has extraordinary power and talent with Water Magic thanks to the combination of his bloodline and his Divine Protection of Water.
- Healing Magic: Ferris can summon Water Mana through a person's body which stimulates an individual's natural healing capabilities and speeds up wound recoveries. Healing Magic can help restore an injured body or cure a target of any ailment they might have within an instant. That being said, Healing Magic can only treat physical wounds and ailments whilst having no affect on mental afflictions. The skill, talent, and raw power of the mage using Healing Magic naturally affects the effectiveness of the treatment. Ferris is a healing prodigy who is considered to the greatest healer in the Kingdom if not the world, earning him the alias of Blue (青 Ao). He can, with little effort, instantly bring someone back to perfect health from the brink of death, and even a gravely wounded person can be completely healed by Ferris without so much as a scar to show after the healing procedure. Ferris can even seamlessly reattach lost limbs such as when he reattached Crusch's cut-off right forearm after it had been cleanly severed by the Sin Archbishop of Greed. There are, however, a couple of known afflictions that not even Ferris can heal, including the illness that felled the entire Kingdom's Royal Family and the infection caused by Sin Archbishop of Lust's Black Dragon's Blood. Additionally, the target of Felix's Healing Magic needs to still have an ember of life within them for him to be able to save them, as even someone who had only recently passed away can not be rejuvenated by Ferris. He can make their body go out of control, enabling him to do things such as using their body like a puppet or destroying the circulatory system of their Gate from inside. He can also die and heal himself to perfect condition, as shown during the original failed battle against the Sin Archbishop of Sloth, however it is unknown how many times he can do this.
- The Sacrament of the Immortal King (不死王の秘蹟 Fushiou no Hiseki): The Sacrament of the Immortal King is an ancient and incredibly powerful spell, created by an unknown Witch ages ago. The spell, when cast correctly, will allow the user to reanimate corpses of the dead and make them do their bidding. Sadly, the technique to properly cast the spell has been long lost to time, and only an incomplete incantation exists which was transcribed in an old and withered book regarded as the most important heirloom of House Argyle. Originally, however, the spell was thought to be capable of fully reviving a dead person, and there are legends of the aforementioned Witch being supposedly capable of bringing back people exactly as they were before their demise. Sadly, though, that part of the spell has not been transcribed and has been long lost to history, with no hope of ever regaining it. Effectively, the written chunks of the spell's full passage is incapable of producing anything more than walking corpses with no will of their own, whose flesh slowly withers away and decomposes through time. To further limit the usefulness of this mostly-lost spell, a caster with natural affinity for the spell must be found in order to recreate even the most basic effects of this forbidden magic – an affinity so rare, that no known person had possessed it in over a century. Finally, it should be worth bringing up that once successfully reanimating a dead person, their soul will not return to the body and they'll be nothing more than a clump of decomposing flesh. Ferris used this spell once, roughly a year before the start of the main story, on the two-year-old corpse of his mother – who had been repeatedly stabbed and killed by her husband and Ferris' father Biehn Argyle. Upon chanting the incomplete incantation, a faint blue light transferred from his palms and seeped into the dead body, springing it back to life almost immediately. In total, the corpse had remained "alive" for no more than a couple of seconds as almost immediately after opening her eyes, Hannah strangled Biehn and – after killing him – dissipated to dust. Perhaps the most enigmatic thing about the whole ordeal was Hannah's faint but genuine smile upon laying her eyes on her husband and her supposed son – something that was described as not being a possible reaction from one of Biehn's countless reanimated corpses, suggesting that Ferris' spell was indeed closer to the original and now-lost Sacrament of the Immortal King, created all those years ago.
Pseudo-Immortality: One way Ferris' body differs from most humans and demi-humans is his extraordinary connection with Water Mana imbue it with strong passive effect in which results in rapid cellular regeneration. With this in effect, it means he can recover from any fatal wound that doesn't kill him outright. However, in exchange it further weakens his ability to fight.
Demi-Human Traits: Due to the demi-human blood flowing through his veins, Ferris sensory organs were significantly enhanced past the limitations displayed by most humans. His cat-like ears in particular were able to detect the slightest change in his surroundings to the point that he could tell when someone turned to look at him. Because of his excellent hearing, he could always tell when someone was approaching him, with the exception of Reinhard van Astrea.
Equipment: Ferris owns a short sword he received from Crusch, but as he doesn't like to damage his skin, he generally refuses to wield it. He has wielded it once in an effort to intimidate an unimpressed Capella.
- According to the author, Ferris' birthday is January 16.
- According to Tappei Nagatsuki, Ferris was taken into consideration as the final boss of the series, but due to Crusch's existence, he scrapped the idea fairly quickly.
- Ferris, just like Reinhard, is drawn with the wrong sword hilt, on the cover of Re:Zero Ex Light Novel Volume 4. The hilt looks identical to Julius' treasured sword.
- Ferris has been ranked among the five weakest characters in Re:Zero.
- "It was one of the exceptional magics, supposedly created by a witch who held the world in thrall, before the knowledge was lost." Re:Zero Ex Light Novel Volume 1 Felix Argyle's Curse; Section 8
- "Put briefly, it allowed the user to control corpses according to their will." Re:Zero Ex Light Novel Volume 1 Felix Argyle's Curse; Section 8
- "Look at this! This is the text describing the Sacrament of the Immortal King, that has been passed down in our house. Biehn dug in his bag and pulled out a worn book." Re:Zero Ex Light Novel Volume 1 Felix Argyle's Curse; Section 11
- "The Witch who invented the spell had been said to be able to bring the dead back, looking exactly as they had in life..." Re:Zero Ex Light Novel Volume 1 Felix Argyle's Curse; Section 8
- "...but that part of the spell had not been passed down." Re:Zero Ex Light Novel Volume 1 Felix Argyle's Curse; Section 8
- "It's not just that the spell book is incomplete. It was never a question of the power as a spell caster. Using an awful spell like that – forcing a body that's stopped to start again – of course it was going to break down right away." Re:Zero Ex Light Novel Volume 1 Felix Argyle's Curse; Section 11
- "And even the most basic manifestation was all but impossible to achieve without a caster who had a natural affinity for the spell. It was a very rare affinity – no one had been known to possess it in over a hundred years." Re:Zero Ex Light Novel Volume 1 Felix Argyle's Curse; Section 8
- "Though the flesh is revived, the soul does not reside within it. Reconstructing the Sacrament of the Immortal King is indeed difficult." Re:Zero Ex Light Novel Volume 2 The Love Song of the Sword Devil Fifth Stanza; Section 3
- "He smiled at the feeling of them, and Hannah, too, smiled faintly. It was a reaction that would not have been possible from a mere moving corpse, like one of those undead warriors." Re:Zero Ex Light Novel Volume 1 Felix Argyle's Curse; Section 11
- "Weakest 5 (Without order): Subaru, Petra, Anastasia, Lewes(Real one), Ferris" Q&A Character Strength