The Dragon Kingdom of Lugnica (ルグニカ王国 Rugunika Ōkoku) is one of the 4 great nations and the country where most of the events of main story take place in.
The Kingdom of Lugnica is the farthermost eastern country on the continent. The capital city is divided into five circular layers who are also known as districts, with the highest and first layer being for royalty, the second, for the nobility, third for economic and commercial reasons, fourth for the average citizen and the lowest layer for the poor, which is also known as the Poor District.
Starting with the Royal Capital Lugnica with a population of around 300,000 in the center, five other large regional capitals with populations of 200,000 to 300,000 are placed around it in a pentagram shape. There are other small cities, towns, villages, and settlements dotted throughout.
Lugnica is also referred to as the Dragon Kingdom Lugnica (親竜王国ルグニカ Shinryū Ōkoku Rugunika), having prospered due to the covenant with "The Dragon". As all members of the royal family are deceased, martial law is currently in effect, with the Sage Council taking over for the time being. In accordance with the prophecy tablet, five women were selected as candidates to become the new king.
The best mages of each of the six elements are given a color title (『色』の称号 Iro no Shougou), which are aliases that show their skill with a particular element. These titles were first created when Lugnica reorganized the basis of their magic system following the Demi Human War. Currently, Blue (water) belongs to Ferris, Red (fire), Green (wind), and Yellow (earth) are Roswaal's, and black (yin) and white (yang) are vacant.
The country worships Volcanica as its national deity and he is bound by a covenant established with the members of the royal family centuries ago.
Economics & CurrencyEdit
Coinage in Lugnica comes in four known types coins. The lowest denomination of coin is the copper coin which has the figure of the royal castle on it. The second denomination of coin is the silver coin which has the figure of the sage on it. The third denomination of coin is the gold coin which has the figure of the first sword saint on it. And finally, the most valuable coin is the sacred gold coin, which has the figure of the dragon on it.
The price of things changes from time to time, especially in trade of vital resources in Lugnica like iron products and mana stones. However it's been mentioned that in recent years the country has been going through a economic downturn, further exacerbated after being hit by a great famine just a year ago despite the current recovery which has left its finances unstable.
Lugunica's national army are the Kingdom Knights which are currently headed by Marcos Gildark. Beyond them there are various provincial armies that help defend the country's border governed by regional lords.
400+ years agoEdit
- Sanctuary is assaulted by the Warlock of Melancholy in pursuit of the Witch of Greed. However, the witch evoked a barrier in time to fend him off.
- A great sage named Flugel, along with the combined strengths of his apprentice Shaula, Volcanica, and the first Sword Saint, attempts to kill the rampaging Witch of Envy. However, because the witch is unable to be slain, she is instead sealed away.
- Lugnica and it’s southern neighbor, the Vollachia Empire, are once again at war. The king of Lugnica, Farsale Lugnica, makes a covenant with the dragon Volcanica to have it protect the kingdom, bringing the conflict to an end.
100 years agoEdit
- The Sin Archbishop of Greed, accompanied by the Witch of Vainglory, attack Elior Forest in search of a mysterious seal deep within the forest. Many elven lives are lost in the campaign. All that results in a young half-elf, Emilia freezing the entire forest in a rage. The forest, Emilia, and all of the elven inhabitants are left frozen in ice for nearly a century.
Approximately 50 years agoEdit
- A royal princess of Lugnica, Emerada Lugnica (who may or may not be related to the Sin Archbishop of Lust), dies at a young age due to a mysterious disease. For unknown reasons, the news of her death would be kept a secret for many years after. For yet stranger reasons, she was refused a state funeral, the reason being vaguely stated that “the national sentiment was against it“. The same disease would go on to wipe out all of the known royalty of Lugnica fifty years later.
Approximately 50 to 40 years agoEdit
- A decade long civil war, straightforwardly named the Demi-human War, occurs and rocks the kingdom to its core. The “civil war” is more accurately described as massive rebellion which pitted the demi-human minority based in the eastern lands of Lugnica’s territory against the human majority who dominated the Kingdom of Lugnica. Prior to the outbreak of the fighting, the racial tensions between the humans of Lugnica and the demi-races had been long established, and long simmering. Due to the actions of the Witch of Envy many hundreds of years ago, Half-Elves and other half races were considered to be heretical, with the prejudice soon extending to the relatively related Demi-Humans. Racial tensions would continue to grow for the next 350 years. Some time later, a village of Demi-Humans would become involved in a small conflict with a Human village. However, during negotiations, representatives sent from the castle were assassinated, leading both sides to blame each other for the murders, contributing to more confusion and violence.
- This event would be the spark that would light off the war. Starting with the rebellion of several tribes in the east, the rebellion would continue to spread across the entire kingdom to the point of a bloody stalemate. Through the efforts of people such as the then Sword Saint, Theresia van Astrea, and one Wilhelm Trias, nicknamed the “Sword Demon” for his absolute ruthlessness on the battlefield, the stalemate would eventually turn against the demi-humans. The Demi-Humans would eventually admit that it wouldn't benefit anyone to continue the fighting, although they still claimed not to be the responsible party for the initial assassinations that set the whole thing off ten years earlier.
- The trauma of the horror and violence of the war still exists deep within the general population of Lugnica, both human and demi-human. As none of the many issues that caused the war were truly ever resolved by the end of the fighting, people in the current day still harbor major prejudice against the half-races, even if it isn't spoken aloud.
- Something to be mentioned is that over the course of the civil war, the “Sword Demon”, Wilhelm Trias, and the Sword Saint, Theresia van Astrea, would meet each other on two separate occasions, first in a construction yard in the Royal Capital, where over the course of three months, Wilhelm would come to re-evaluate his life through connecting with Theresia, and again on the battlefield, where Theresia would save Wilhelm from being overwhelmed by demi-humans. Wilhelm would soon come to both envy and admire Theresia’s swordsmanship and beauty. In the second encounter, Wilhelm began to realize the implications and duty of Theresia’s tragic destiny, and so he resolved to free her from her obligation as the Sword Saint. They would not meet again for some time.
Approximately 40 years agoEdit
- At the celebrations for the second anniversary of the end of the civil war, Wilhelm Trias would return to “save” Theresia van Astrea from the potentially tainting life of being the Sword Saint. He would duel her for the role and win, and the next year, they would be married. Wilhelm Trias would take his wife’s surname to become Wilhelm van Astrea. Some time after, Heinkel Astrea, the future deputy commander of the elite Royal Guard would be born.
- Soon after the end of the Demi-human War, the Sin Archbishop of Pride began a campaign of secretive movements against the Kingdom of Lugnica. At first in secret, as mentioned before, and then in earnest once the Sword Saint Theresia van Astrea is confirmed to be pregnant. The incident culminated in the summoning of the "Black Dragon" who may as well have destroyed the country if it were not for the intervention of the dragon Volcanica for first time in centuries.
14 years agoEdit
- The Sword Saint Theresia van Astrea, joined with a company of knights, is sent on a expedition to subjugate the Hakugei, better known as the White Whale, who had appeared in the country around that time. However, the mission ended catastrophically and Theresia was not among the few remaining survivors to return. This would be later be known as the first Great Expedition.
- Reinhard van Astrea becomes the next Sword Saint at the age of 5. His inheritance of the Sword Saint’s blessings and powers came at a rather unfortunate time, as the sudden transfer of power resulted in his grandmother and then Sword Saint, Theresia van Astrea, losing her powers mid battle with the White Whale, unintentionally leading to her death.
- The infant daughter of Ford Lugnica, the brother to the 41st king of Lugnica, is supposedly kidnapped by thieves who had somehow snuck into his castle. The child was never recovered. Supposedly, someone within the elite Royal Guard allowed the intruders to escape just as they were about to be caught. It’s also been rumored that the thieves were hired by the previously mentioned Heinkel Astrea, head of the Astrea family, and as mentioned before once again, the Deputy Commander of the Royal Guards. The incident and even the existence of the child is not publicly known, but the kidnapping of the royal baby would have major consequences within the structure of the royal guards. It is one of few events not recorded in the Dragon Tablet. However, a current royal selection candidate, Felt, who is known to have the signature features of the Lugnica family, is suspected to be the missing daughter.
- The Oni Village is raided and destroyed by the Witch Cult. All of the known oni are massacred, with the exception of the oni sisters, Rem and Ram, who now reside in the domain of Roswaal L Mathers.
7.5 years agoEdit
- Puck, a spirit created by the Witch of Greed, unfreezes Emilia in Elior Forest and begins to act as her friend and mentor.
7 years agoEdit
- The incident known as the “Day of Red Earth and Sky" occurs when Melakuera, the then Great Spirit of Fire, attacks the Elior Forest in search of the “half-witch” Emilia. The spirit accompanying Emilia, Puck, protects her and battles Melakuera. Melakuera loses the fight, his position, and his life, making Puck the next Great Spirit of Fire.
1 year agoEdit
- All members of the royal family begin to die en masse due the same unknown disease that supposedly killed Princess Emerada. The mass die off of the Lugnica family leads to the abolishment of the covenant between the Kingdom of Lugnica and the dragon Volcanica.
- Roswaal L Mathers meets with Emilia and Puck. After Puck and Roswaal duked it out for half a day, Emilia defused the situation and accepted Roswaal's invitation to his mansion after he showed her the Dragon Insignia and enticed her into joining the Royal Selection to “free the elves”, among other reasons.
- Royal selection candidate Crusch Karsten meets with the “Sword Demon”, Wilhelm van Astrea, and invites him into her camp in exchange for assistance in hunting the White Whale that killed his wife.
6 months agoEdit
- The Kingdom of Lugnica enters a non-aggression pact with the Vollachia Empire.
Lugnica: Lugnica is the capital of the Kingdom of Lugnica.
- Market Street: Situated in the Commercial District, it is the main thoroughfare that connects to all parts of city and central commercial area in the capital. Notably there is a board sign at the entrance for the official current exchange rates for money.
- Prison Tower (監獄塔): The Prison Tower is a tower adjacent to the royal castle and is used to imprison those who have committed serious crimes.
- Healing Institute (王国治療院): A facility where excellent healers are gathered from all over the country. It is located in the Noble District of the capital.
- Knights Garrison: Main headquarters of the "Kingdom Knights" and where it's elite: the "Royal Guard" are stationed. It's sits between the Commercial District and Noble District separating them by a large archway connected to massive white bultidings.
Priestella (プリステラ Purisutera): Also known as the Water Gate City (水門都市 Suimon Toshi), Priestella is one of the five regional capitals of Lugnica and is the closest to Kararagi with the Tigracy River separating them. It is a beautiful city and a famous tourist location that is built in the middle of a large lake, with waterways running through the city. The waterways divide the city into four parts called avenues which are numbered clockwise from the main gate. It is also the birthplace of Hoshin of the Wilderness and has been long associated with merchants because of its proximity to Kararagi. Priestella is led by the Priestellan Council of Ten. During the events of Arc 5, the whole council got annihilated, except for Kiritaka Muse.
- Tigracy Bridge: A stone bridge that sits over the Tigracy River on the Lugnican side which leads to the front gates of Priestella.
- Water Plumage Inn (水の羽衣亭 Mizu no Hagoromo-tei): A Kararagi style inn located in Priestella's first avenue.
- City Hall: The City Hall is a tall building in the center of the city. It houses a large communication device used to boardcast all over the city.
Picoutatte (ピックタット): Picoutatte is one of Lugnica's five regional capitals. It is a beautiful merchant city separated into five different areas: north, south, east, west, and central. The rules and features are different in each area. The Suwen Trading Company is located in the west area.
Pappelt (パッペルト) : A town in the south of Lugnica where Regin Suwen, Otto's younger brother lives. This town in endangered by Earth Spider's web.
Flanders (フランダース): Flanders is one of Lugnica's five regional capitals located in southern part of the country in the Hyclara Plateau. It is also known as the Earth Dragon Capital (地竜の都 Chiryuu no Miyako) due to being known as the place where Earth Dragons originated from. Volcanica is said to have become friends with Reid and Shaula here, in addition to the land being blessed by the dragon so that Earth Dragons would be born. The Astrea territory is located nearby.
Aihia Wetlands (アイヒア湿地帯): The Aihia Wetlands are one of sites where the Demi Human War was fought.
Shamrock Valley (シャムロック渓谷): A valley southeast of Lugnica where Sphinx' Testing Ground (スピンクスの実験場) is located. It's described to always be enshrouded by thick fog. The grounds cannot be entered without her od or something that contains it.
Hakchuri (ハクチュリ): Hakchuri is the only small city within the Astrea territory and is where the Astrea Mansion is located. The Hyclara Plateaus lies between it and Flanders. Its main industries are agriculture, livestock, and Earth Dragons. Brown haired people are more common in the area while blonde haired people are more common near the capital.
- Astrea Mansion: The Astrea Mansion is a big mansion with flower beds in the garden that Wilhelm van Astrea liked.
Fleur (フルール): A small stopover town on the longer route to Roswaal's territory. Subaru met a drunk Otto here in one loop and hired him for a ride after staying the night there. It is mentioned that Fleur is Grimm Fauzen's home town.
Hanumas: Border village that sits on the entrance to the Mathers domain.
Cramlin (クラムリン): A town near the capital. It is located in the southeast of the capital. It's located near the Lifaus Highway, lying next to Mount Cordor It has caves lying near the town, one of which was inhabited by a Sunamimizu.
- Mount Cordor : A mountain which is also known as Nest of the Earthsnakes is near the town of Cramlin.
Mill Gray (ミルグレー): A city near the capital. It is located west of Fleur near the Lifaus Highway. The town is famous for its windmills.
Bonobo (ボノボ): A city near the capital. It is located between Mill Gray and Cramlin on the Lifaus Highway. The town is famous for its distilleries.
Lifaus Highway: A large thoroughfare where Flugel's Tree formerly stood. The tree is large enough that it can be seen for miles, though it was destroyed during the battle against the Hakugei.
Irlam Village (アーラム村): Irlam Village is a village located near Roswaal's Mansion with a population of around 300 people. The name of the village changes based on the surname of the current head. There is also a youth group created by the young people in the village.
Elior Forest: A dense woodland forest currently owned by Roswaal where the Elves once lived. It is located in the North-East of Lugnica. The village owned its own seal who was being guarded by the Elves. About 100 years ago, the forest was attacked by both Pandora and Regulus Corneas, which ended up causing the entire area to be frozen over by Emilia.
Ganaks (ガナクス): A mining city located near Elior Forest north east from it. The city lies at the foot of the Gina mountain range, and was considered one of the six great cities in Bond of Ice before Tappei changed the amount of great cities to five. As well as its prolific mining industry, Ganaks is famed for its entertainment district. At night, Ganaks' main street is illuminated by the lights of gorgeous crystal lamps. Away from the main street, Ganaks is also home to a violent underworld.
The Forest of Clemaldy (クレマルディ): Clemaldy is the name of the dense forest that surrounds the Sanctuary. It is nicknamed "The Lost Forest" due to the barrier that has prevented explorers from fully explore its depths.
- Sanctuary (聖域 Seiiki): The Sanctuary is a poor village located within Roswaal's territory which has been taken care of by the various Mathers over the years. The village itself is a group of buildings located in a clearing within the forest and only halves live there. It is surrounded by a short fence with an old stone gate at the entrance. Although Roswaal refers to it as the Sanctuary, the villagers refer to it as the Witch of Greed's Graveyard (強欲の魔女の墓場 Gōyoku no Majo no Hakaba).
- Sanctuary Barrier (聖域の結界 Seiiki no Kekkai): A barrier created by Echidna that prevents halves from going through it. Any halves that come close to it start to lose consciousness and feel as if their existence is being disturbed. Even if someone takes an unconscious half that has crossed the barrier, they will never awake outside the barrier as their spirit is trapped within it. The barrier checks the blood of those that go near it and only affects those it clearly determines as halves. It also causes those who are not permitted to enter the Sanctuary to get lost.
Costuul (コスツール): A bustling Demi Human town near the main residence of the Mathers Head family. It is rumored that Costuul used to be a dragon pit.
Ladrima (ラドリマ): A village in southwestern Lugnica, bordering the Vollachia Empire, in the southern part of the Barony of Barielle.
Agante (アガンテ) : Agante is a bandit town in southwestern Lugnica, near the Barony of Barielle.
Guineb (ギネブ): Guineb is an inconspicuous city in the mountains of southern Lugnica. The town is built around a magic ore mine, however the mine is already depleted.
Abiate (アビエイト): Abiate is a city in southern Lugnica. The McMahon manor is located a half day's journey from the city.
Mirula (ミルーラ Miruura): Mirula is the closest town to the Augria Sand Dunes. The town is described as a practically deserted inn town, considerably smaller than Lugnica's main cities. The town is located north from the Kingdom's largest forest, and just west of the Dunes.
The town experiences the "Sand Time" from the Augria Sand Dunes, to which its few residents shut themselves inside. It's stated that many travelers that challenge the Augria Sand Dunes pass through this town.
Gina Mountain Range (ギナ山脈): A mountain range in which legend says that Volcanica once lived there. It has become a magic ore mining source and permission is required from the kingdom to enter it. The mountain range lies in the north east of Lugnica.
Coffleton (カッフルトン) A hamlet on the southernmost tip of the Barielle Territories. The hamlet is smaller than the Barielle estate. According to the census records, there are 88 residents. It’s located at the basin of the Tenrill river.
Augria Sand Dunes (アウグリア砂丘 Auguria Sakyuu): The Augria Sand Dunes is an area located in the far eastern part of the Kingdom of Lugnica. Due to its close proximity to the Witch's Shrine, the Augria Sand Dunes has a high concentration of witch miasma, making it an ideal place for Demon Beasts to live. Demon Beasts that live here are larger than normal, tend to become violent, and some only live in the area.
- Pleiades Watchtower (プレアデス監視塔 Pureadesu Kanshitou): The Pleiades Watchtower is a watchtower that is being overseen by Shaula. The tower has six layers and an underground floor. The respective names of each floor from one to six respectively are Maia, Electra, Taygeta, Alcyone, Celaeno, and Asterope.
- Evil Sealing Stone Shrine (封魔石の祠 Fuumaseki no Hokora): The Evil Sealing Stone Shrine is where Satella is currently sealed.