|Kanji||ナツキ・スバル (菜月 昴)|
|Alias|| The Half Elf's Knight|
Lolimancer/Little Girl User
Purge King (粛清王 Shukuseiou)
|Age|| 18 (Arc 5+)|
17 (Arc 1-4)
|Height||173 cm (5'8")|
|• Professional Status•|
|Affiliation|| Kingdom of Lugnica|
|Previous Occupation|| Butler|
|• Personal Status•|
|Relative(s)|| Natsuki Kenichi (father)|
Natsuki Naoko (mother)
|• Abilities and Equipment•|
|Authority|| Authority of Sloth|
Authority of Greed
Return by Death
|Light Novel||Volume 1|
|Japanese Voice||Kobayashi Yuusuke|
|English Voice||Sean Chiplock|
Natsuki Subaru (ナツキ・スバル) is the main protagonist of the Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu. He is a shut-in NEET who is sent to a fantasy world. He officially becomes Emilia's knight following the incident at the Sanctuary and later revealed to have the necessary qualities to become a Sage candidate.
Subaru has short black hair and brown eyes. He is described to have an ordinary look and an evil gaze due to his sanpakugan. He usually wears the tracksuit that he was wearing when he was summoned but other outfits have included the butler's clothes he wore when serving at the Roswaal mansion.
In the events of Arc 5, Subaru's right arm and leg were infected by Capella's Black Dragon Blood.
While Subaru tends to not read the situations he encounters, ultimately leading him to make irrational decisions, he is loyal to those he holds dear, willing to help them, even if that means taking the thorny path. He has his resolve confirmed through the many situations and circumstances he faces in the fantasy world, originally having been one to always take the 'easy' route. As a shut-in NEET, he is hopeful of the possibilities that being sucked into a new realm brings, but later realizes the realities of the predicament he is in. Eventually, he resolves himself to be faithful and protective of the ones that he cares most about.
Subaru is at a local Japanese convenience store, buying consumer goods. After leaving the store, he somehow ends up in a fantasy world, after the atmosphere around him distorts itself. Confused by the happenings around him, Subaru later recognizes the fact that he has been sucked into another world.
Back in his original world, Subaru was the only son to two odd, but well meaning parents. From a young childhood age Subaru idealized his dad in particular, a popular man in his community who was highly talented in whatever he did, while loving father who prioritized his family above everything else and had boisterous personality that charmed anyone he met. Kenichi was everything he wanted to be and growing up around him had a huge influence on Subaru's life. Taking pride in being his son, Subaru worked to live up expectations that came with that in his mind. For time he achieved this, as Subaru found himself smarter, more physically able and popular than his peers. When he received praise Subaru would of hear how it was expected of him being Kenichi's son which made him feel special and entitled to sense of superiority.
However as the young boy's small world started to gradually expand upon entering middle school, Subaru would to come face to face with limits of his own ability. Suddenly, he found people who were becoming smarter, and faster than he was and in generally being better at the things he used to be. He felt as he slowly losing his place and began to harbor a deep sense of shame at letting down his parents and a fear of everyone leaving him for failures, doubt and self-loathing began to develop in his heart. But rather than prioritizing getting better at those things to combat his anxieties, Subaru instead placed more importance on doing daring and outrageous things to maintain his fragile dignity and keep himself the center of attention. However the more reckless Subaru's actions became the less people wanted to be around him. Yet Subaru continued to deceive himself and believe his own lies because as the son of his seemly indomitable father, he couldn't be seen as failure. Eventually, one day Subaru noticed he no longer had any friends and in his loneliness Subaru realized he wasn't anyone special.
Then on, the comparisons between his father and himself turned into a curse that wounded and suffocated him everywhere he went, yet his strong admiration for his dad made it impossible show that pain to anyone. Eventually he stopped tying to stand out and when high school came he found himself in a new environment where no knew his past. Seizing this opportunity Subaru tried to build new interpersonal relationships, but the problem had no idea how to be himself around others and instead only ended up emulating his father, his only frame of reference which instead lead to others to treat him as a clown and classmates simply ignored his existence altogether. One day Subaru skipped a day of school out of lack of enthusiasm, which slowly turned into a constant thing until one point he hadn't been to class for three months. When out of public space Subaru felt liberated, but more than that he's degradation meant people would start distancing him from Kenichi and in a twisted hope his parents come to acknowledge him as worthless cast him aside in self abandonment.
When coming to this world meeting Emilia he felt gained a new sense purpose and salvation now divorced from his old life, but his lingering insecurities Subaru tried to pushed aside worsen due to the more unforgiving conditions. It was only when finally hitting a wall losing everything and being brought down to his lowest could Subaru shred his ego begin barring his heart, with the support of Rem that he could stop running from himself as he did in old world. But he would not yet start to forgive himself much later.
Return by Death (死に戻り Shinimodori): Returns the user to a "save point" after death. This ability was given to him by Satella as a means to help him save the ones he loves should he need it.
- Penalties: Subaru is unable to reveal his ability to others. There are three primary penalties for attempting to do so:
- Subaru will be forcibly and painfully silenced by the Witch's hand, and in some cases die.
- Anyone who hears his reveal will die.
- Dark creatures will be drawn to him like moths to a flame.
Authority (権能 Ken'nō): Subaru is currently able to use two Authorities, Sloth and Greed. His Return by Death is also rumored to be an Authority but nothing has been confirmed.
- Authority of Sloth (怠惰の権能 Taida no Ken'nō): Subaru gained the ability to use the Authority of Sloth after Petelgeuse Romanee-Conti's death.
- Unseen Hand (見えざる手 Miezaru Te): The user can cause physical interference by creating an invisible force field in the shape of a hand and can phase through objects by focusing their thoughts. Subaru later renames this technique as Invisible Providence (インビジブル・プロヴィデンス Inbijiburu Purovidensu), though he is only able to control one hand and its range is minimal.
- Authority of Greed (強欲の権能 Gōyoku no Ken'nō): Received after the defeat of Regulus Corneas in which Subaru became its current holder.
- Cor Leonis: An reverse form of Regulus' "Lion Heart" which Subaru gained in Arc 6. As such it works inversely to how Small King does in which Subaru takes on the burdens of others, be it physical or mental and transfers them to himself temporary in-exchange for increases in their combat abilities. It seems to only work on people Subaru has a emotional connection to whom he can sense by seeing them points of lights when the authority is active. It can be used to derive the relative locations of everyone and their emotional states to himself.
Magic User: Subaru was formerly able to use Yin Magic before his gate collapsed, though he is still able to use it to a certain extent with Beatrice's help by using her as a gate instead. He later comes up with three Yin Magic that he is only able to use with Beatrice. Of the three magic, the third one is still incomplete, and each magic can only be used once per day.
- Shamak (シャマク Shamaku): Shamak enables Subaru to trap his opponent in a area of darkness that confuses their senses. As it was the only magic he could use before his gate collapsed, he used it a number of times, and even came to grow attached to it, calling it "Shamak-san".
Spirit Affinity: Subaru has a rare innate gift to form contracts with spirits.
Spirit User (精霊使い Seirei Tsukai): Subaru is contracted with the Artificial Spirit Beatrice, though according to her he isn't a true Spirit User. She also has a terrible mana consumption rate and formerly got around this by draining mana from people in the mansion using the library as a medium. Like Julius, Subaru is also considered be a Spirit Knight (精霊騎士 Seirei Kishi). As she is an Artificial Spirit, she also has several conditions Subaru is forced to follow:
- Subaru cannot form a contract with other Spirits
- Beatrice cannot restore mana on her own
- Beatrice cannot use the mana in the atmosphere
- Beatrice can only drain mana from Subaru
Spirit Arts (精霊術): Following Arc 4 Subaru is able to use this.
- E・M・M (エミリアたんマジ女神 Emiria-tan Maji Megami, "Emilia-tan is Seriously a Goddess"): E・M・M is an "absolute defense magic". Beatrice uses Yin Magic to interfere with the time and space around Subaru, and while he can't move during activation, he experiences no interference from outside the barrier. It is similar to the Authority of Greed but doesn't have the same risk, and can be used until mana runs out.
- E・M・T (エミリアたんマジ天使 Emiria-tan Maji Tenshi, "Emilia-tan is Seriously an Angel"): E・M・T is an "absolute negation magic". A spherical field several ten meters long with Subaru and Beatrice at the center is created which negates effects from mana within it. Julius remarks that it is useful against mages and those who use mana to assist their techniques. However, the magic only negates the use of mana, and so it has no effect against opponents who fight without it.
- Rental Goa: Not being one of his spells made after forming a formal contract with Beatrice, this was instead a makeshift spell fire spell created on the spot during Subaru's provisional contract with la. It was used against Petegeuse to set him on fire after being doused with oil.
Melee Fighter: While he is not a skilled warrior like Reinhard and his other companions, he is shown to have a basic grasp of melee combat and was able to briefly hold his own against Elsa, as well as shown by his aptitude in dodging Felt's swings when confused for an intruder. He also demonstrates strength in holding back the thugs that assailed him.
Parkour: During the several months after the incident at the Sanctuary, Subaru learns the basics of parkour from Clind and begins training himself.
Equipment: Subaru uses a whip as his main weapon. Like his Parkour, Subaru learned the basics of using it from Clind. In the Light Novel, it was revealed that his preferred whip was made of the Demon Beast they fought in Arc 4, the Jet Black King of the Forest Guiltylowe. He named said whip the Guiltywhip.
Patrasche (パトラッシュ Patorasshu): Patrasche is Subaru's black Earth Dragon that he officially received from Crusch for his efforts in the Hakugei battle. It is female and of the Diana species. Despite being of a species known for being feisty, Patrasche is extremely loyal to him, as she is willing to put her life on the line to serve him.
Defective Gate: After the events of the Sanctuary Subaru completely ruptures his "gate" due to over-stressing it by casting magic while it was still recovering from demon beast incident in Arc 2. Now he can no longer use magic on his own at all becasue he cannot expel the mana which puts him at risk of dying from "Mana Poisoning", a state when too mana builds up in one's Od due poor mana circulation. Fortunately his now permanent contract with Beatrice allows her to absorb the excess mana via physical contact which they do daily.
- According to the author, Subaru's birthday is April 1, and his birth flower is a Gypsophila elegans, or annual baby's breath.
- According to the author, Patrasche's birthday is April 15.
- In astronomy, "Subaru" is the Japanese name for the constellation Pleiades. Of which, seven stars in the constellation are named after the Seven Sisters, the daughters of Atlas and Pleione in classical mythology.
- He's surprisingly talented at sewing. Can even make stuffed toys.
- Did kendo in middle school for a bit so he had some basics in swordsmanship.
- Before My Fair Bad Lady, he had crossdressed once in his old life.