During the events of Arcs 1 through 4, Puck played a pivotal role for Emilia's mental state, supporting her and acting as her parental figure. During the events of the 4th Arc; however, Puck forcefully severed the contract with her in order to pull off the seal placed over Emilia's memories, giving her a fighting chance in the Witch of Greed's Trials. After using every last bit of power he was capable of mustering up at that time, Puck entered a long period of sleep, inside a powerful Pyroxene Crystal which is currently worn by Emilia, however, the crystal isn't powerful enough to allow him to materialize.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
In his smaller form, Puck stood at nine centimeters tall and was small enough to fit in the palm of a person's hand. Aside from his diminutive stature and the fact that he stood on his hindlegs, Puck was fairly physically reminiscent of a common house cat, specifically an American Shorthair. The light grey and white fur that coated his entire body was well-groomed and very soft. His eyes were black (blue in the anime adaptation) and his pink nose was another trait that separated him from a house cat. Puck's tail was abnormally long to the point that it was the length of his body and his ears were both floppy. On his left ear, Puck wore a single golden hoop earring that made his ear droop down. He also occasionally carried around a miniaturized magenta handbag that fit his small size perfectly.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Puck is generally a nice spirit. He is very happy and stays at Emilia's side to protect her, affectionately calling her "Lia". He goofs occasionally and gets along especially well with Beatrice. However, Puck's demeanor greatly changes in loops where Emilia dies, showing a complete disregard for anyone except her, and was even willing to destroy the world because of the condition in their contract.
Seven years after the defeat of Melakuera, Emilia reminded Puck that it was the anniversary of Melakuera's defeat, and they should head out to clean his gravemarker. Emilia mentioned that it seemed that Puck was getting more and more forgetful as the years went by.
History[edit | edit source]
Around 400 years ago, Puck was a humanoid being but was created into an Artificial Spirit by Echidna, though he had apparently left her by the time she moved into the Sanctuary. Seven years before the start of the election, Puck unfroze Emilia and began to act as her friend and mentor, and later on, started to live at Roswaal's mansion where he was reunited with Beatrice.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Artificial Spirit: Puck is a Great Spirit presiding over Fire Mana. While he was contracted with Emilia, he used to have a number of conditions, one of which was that he would only appear from nine in the morning to five in the afternoon, though he could use her Od to manifest himself in an emergency. Like Beatrice, Puck is also an Artificial Spirit, making him have a terrible mana consumption rate. He used to drain mana from Emilia, who didn't have any use for it until she remembered that she could use magic on her own during the trials, while lying that he was absorbing it from the atmosphere. Puck had a vow with Echidna that forbade him from forming a contract with Emilia on his own, however he broke this vow as he was on the verge of death, both as a means to save himself and to protect her from the effects of his battle with Melakuera. This resulted in his memories of the past being sealed.
Magic (魔法 Mahō):
Puck is very skilled at different types of Magic, such as Fire, Water, and Yin magic as well as is also mentioned to use others. He's able to conjure a multitude of razor sharp ice spikes which impale and freeze his opponents. He's also been shown using water magic and was able to easily neutralize Roswaal's most powerful Ice attack without breaking a sweat. Puck is stated to be the most powerful Fire Magic user. with the sheer power of his magic even surpassing that of Roswaal.
- Shamak (シャマク): Puck's target becomes unable to sense where they are, however they can still feel the ground and sense what is happening to their body.
- Ice Flower (氷の花): Puck has demonstrated the ability to plant a seed within someone from which flowers of ice can later bloom. The flowers bloom by feeding off of negative emotions and sucking the host's blood and life force.
- Absolute Zero (絶対零度): Puck can freeze things to absolute zero temperatures causing the targets quickly crumble to pieces under their own weight. He was also able to release Emilia from being frozen at absolute zero by her own power for almost a hundred years, and only someone with equal power to Emilia could unfreeze her.
Mind Reading: Puck is capable of reading the surface thoughts or intentions of individuals he comes in contact to an extent. He can also communicate telepathically through this with anyone has an affinity for Spirits even without Emilia being aware.
Desertification: Puck can detect and remove curse according to Beatrice.
Mana Drain: Puck is capable of draining mana by touch. He is the only one besides Beatrice that knows this skill.
Star Beastification (星獣化 Seijuuka): While normally staying in a small size, Puck's true form is a monstrous, 20 meter, golden eyed cat like beast which is dubbed "the Beast of the End". As he needs an incredible amount of mana to stay in this form, he forcibly drains it from his surroundings, causing them to freeze.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Puck is capable of single-handedly defeating the Hakugei.
- Author's pen name is "Grey colored cat". In Japanese:- 鼠色猫
- According to the author, if he was a Re:Zero character then he'd want to be Puck.
- Puck gets extremely weak when he is contracted to Emilia.
- Puck can't be more than 10 meters away from Emilia as part of their contract or the surroundings will start to freeze.
- Lesser spirits are scared of Puck so Emilia can't make a contract with them if Puck is present.
- Puck decides all of Emilia's hairstyles and clothes.
- Puck knows about Subaru's first love letter to his kindergarten teacher although it isn't explained how he came to know about this.
- In the author's character strength ranking in June 2014, the Beast of the End was ranked as the 5th strongest character in the series, though the list may have changed since then.
References[edit | edit source]
- "and am served by Puck, the Great Spirt that governs fire mana." Re:Zero Light Novel Volume 4: Chapter 4. Section 5.
- "In accordance with the pact, I'll be destroying the world now." Re:Zero Light Novel Volume 6: Chapter 4. Section 7.
- "Age: 420" Narou Blog
- "This is what I'm like now, but before my arms and legs were just a little longer, and if you can believe it, my face wouldda been handsome." Arc 4: Chapter 72. Section 3.
- "The reason I never spoke of forming a contract with you was because I made a vow." Re:Zero Prequel: Bond of Ice: Chapter 4. Section 8.
- "Magic healed them a fair bit, so Betty and I will lift those curses in no time at all." Re:Zero Light Novel Volume 3: Chapter 4. Section 2.
- "In this manor, only Puckie and I can perform such a feat. Even Roswaal cannot." Re:Zero Light Novel Volume 2: Chapter 4. Section 1.
- "Reinhard, Ram, Regulus, Sekhmet, Puck." askFM Q&A
[edit | edit source]