Ram (ラム) is Rem's sister and one of the twin maids working for Margrave Roswaal L Mathers. Debuting in Arc 2, Ram originally played a rather neutral role, neither assisting in Subaru's endeavours or directly going against him, like her sister–save for one of the failed loops where Rem succumbed to the curse. In the arc's final loop, however, she played a vital role, allowing Subaru to prevail and stop the Demon Beast rampage in the forest. Ram has also played a vital supporting role in Arc 4 and Arc 6, dueling Roswaal in the former Arc and the Sin Archbishop of Gluttony in the latter Arc.
Originally, Ram was born into the Oni Clan with a single horn and displayed exceptional talent and strength which resulted in the village referring to her as the second coming of the Oni God. However, after an attack orchestrated by the Witch Cult, she lost her horn and–together with her sister–was saved by Roswaal L Mathers. In return, Ram swore to help Roswaal in his own endeavours, pledging to help him kill the Divine Dragon. During her ten years of serving under the Margave, she developed strong feelings of love for him, despite initially vowing to kill him and avenge her slaughtered Clan.
Ram has medium length light pink hair that covers her left eye, large darkish red eyes, and young features. She also has hair clips towards right side of her hair, flower-shaped ribbon on the same side of her hair, and a maid hairband. She looks nearly identical to her sister Rem apart from her hair, eyes, and ribbon coloring. She usually wears a maid uniform. She has a smaller chest compared to her sister, and she has slanted eyes.
Ram is seemingly self-centered and does things at her own pace, however in actuality she maintains a distance from people to ascertain them. She believes that Roswaal is the greatest and no one else is as precious except for her sister Rem. She is slightly more outgoing in comparison to the generally taciturn Rem, who generally allows Ram to take the lead in their sisterly bond.
As the prodigal elder twin Ram was born with extraordinary talent for mana manipulation and a powerful body to match that made her the pride of the Oni village, as, according to the chief of the village, she was the second coming of the Oni God. Her aptitude didn't just lie there, everything from cooking to physical activities she was superior to Rem and was showered in adoration even by her own sister. However she never let any of it get to her head and never forgot her little sister no matter how much attention was paid to her. During the night of the attack by the Witch Cult when all the Oni fell she alone kept fighting to avenge them and protect her sister. But the cult outnumbered her and she made a last ditch effort to shield a petrified Rem from getting cut down. In mere moments, Ram lost her horn when it was sliced off from her head as a result of that. Had it not been for a passing mage at the time whom they came to know as Roswaal L Mathers they would not have survived the massacre.
The next several years since then Roswaal would gain the twins eternal gratitude and fervent loyalty. Especially in the case of Ram who came to harbor romantic feelings for him who also served as her lifeline due to regular mana infusions. During the early days of her life in Roswaal's mansion Ram would also come to know the partial truth of the cult's raid that night as well as the identity of the cult member responsible for cutting off her horn, Faust with assistance from Roswaal and achieved her vengeance. Ram is the only person who knows about Roswaal's gospel and had formed a contract with him that stipulated that his life would be hers if the future ever deviated from its predictions as penance for knowing about the attack and letting it happen for his own ends.
Clairvoyance (千里眼 Senrigan): A secret art passed down through generations in the Oni tribe. It enables her to synchronize with the vision of those who have the same wavelength, allowing her to overlap her vision with another being. While she's usually able to synchronize her vision with anyone she wishes to, there are a few exceptions, one of which being "high-ranking" individuals such as Roswaal. If such people close off their heart, Ram is unable to use Clairvoyance on them. Although she is unable to defend herself while using it, it allows her to continuously switch between people. However, the side effect of the ability causes her veins to become prominent, shed tears of blood from one eye, and legs to shake uncontrollably.
Magic User (魔法使い Maho Tsukai):
Ram is able to use Wind Magic and is mentioned to be relatively skilled in it. When she still had her horn, Ram's wind magic was incredibly powerful than it is now.
- Fura (フーラ): Fura is Ram's most used Wind Magic. Ram shoots wind slashes with a super high speed that can cut through wood, stone and flesh with ease.
- El Fura (エル・フーラ): Ram unleashes a blade of wind, travelling at maximum velocity. It was noted that the attack couldn't be physically countered.
- UI Fura (フーラ): Ram is capable of rewriting the world around her, transforming the air around her into blades of wind which are sent hurling towards her enemies. The blades travel sporadically and without a set course, turning their target into minced meat.
- Al Fura (アル・フーラ): Ram unleashes an extremely devastating torrent of wind blades that destroy everything and everyone in its path. The unleashed wind blades are described as having the force of a gigantic dragon and the sharpness of a treasured sword. People who are hit with this spell immediately have their eardrums destroyed, their entire bodies slashed to pieces and at the end, not even a pool of blood is left of them.
Synesthesia: An ability that she shares with her sister. It allows them to share their feelings and emotions with each other through telepathy. Ram is even able to borrow Rem's horn and use it to greatly amplify her own fighting strength.
Oni Bloodline (鬼の血族 Oni no Ketsuzoku): Ram was formerly considered to be a child prodigy and the second coming of the Oni God even though she only had one horn, however it was cut off by Faust when the Witch Cult attacked her village. Despite not having a horn, she can still go into her Oni Form, being able to use her powers to greatly boost her combat abilities for a short amount of time but at a cost of vomiting blood and rendering herself unable to move for a long period of time. It is stated that she manages this form in terms of "Shackles", with each shackle representing around 10% of her power as an Oni.
Ram is shown to be very skilled at hand-to-hand combat and has an exceptional awareness of her own body's limits. Her knee kicks and elbow punches are capable of shattering bones and rupturing internal organs and by using Wind Magic, she is able to amplify the speed and direction of her attacks, making her an extremely proficient opponent who's able to go toe-to-toe with the likes of transformed Garfiel and Lye Batenkaitos. During the fight against Garfiel in Arc 4, she was able to use her powers to greatly boost her combat abilities for a short amount of time but at a cost of vomiting blood and rendering herself unable to move for a long period of time. If Otto had not used his Divine Protection to distract Garfiel, she would have died in the midst of her battle.
Intelligence: Aside from her combative abilities, Ram is incredibly intelligent. Having received a formal education thanks to the patronage of Mathers, both Ram and Rem excelled academically. She has excellent observational skills and was a strong judge of character. Unlike her sister, Ram is able to discern that Subaru was not a threat despite the scent of the Witch of Envy that rested on him. She also was able to understand that Subaru wanted Garfiel's necklace from observing his line of questioning, even though Subaru didn't convey this information to her. Ram is adept at household chores due to her years of servitude under Lord Roswaal L Mathers. However, despite being teamed up with Subaru a majority of the time, Ram and her partner only completed around twenty percent of the work load, leaving the rest to Rem. Ram's cooking is only subpar, as she herself claimed her best dish was steamed potatoes..
Equipment: Ram usually uses a Wand Roswaal fashioned from her horn when fighting. It helps her better channel her mana to reduce the burden of using magic. During the events of Arc 3, Ram uses the wand while fighting Wilhelm and Ricardo in close combat. The wand is described as looking like a short cane.
- According to the author, Ram's birthday is February 2, the same as her twin sister Rem.
- In the author's character strength ranking in June 2014, Ram with her horn was ranked as the 2nd strongest character in the series, though the list may have changed since then.
- According to both the author and Lye Batenkaitos, Ram with her horn would be able to contend with the likes of Sekhmet and Regulus Corneas, in terms of power.
- In Ram and the Night Study Group side story, it is revealed that Ram (and likely Rem) both attended something similar to kindergarten, back in their home village.
- In the side story mentioned in the point above, Ram somewhat correctly guessed Subaru was hailing from an upper class of a small kingdom. While he wasn't necessarily born in a kingdom, Subaru was indeed from a more well-off family.
- After Subaru taught her Hiragana, Ram noted she felt like she saw this type of writing somewhere before.
- Ram has her own named chapter in Arc 6, in both the Web and Light Novels.
- "Ram started using <<Clairvoyance>>, a secret skill of the Onis' " Re:Zero Prequel: The Oni Sisters of the Hidden Village: Chapter 5. Section 4.
- "The feelings I am picking up from Sister are partly unease and largely… anger." Re:Zero Light Novel Volume 5: Chapter 2. Section 2.
- "The sharing of the horn's might utilising <<Synesthesia>> had already been undone, so no horn was present on her forehead" Arc 6: Chapter 86. Section 5
- "The Oni Clan's hope, the arrival of a new Oni god, all those circumstances of the surrounding adults were nothing but trivial things to these girls who were brought into this world as twins" Re:Zero Prequel: The Oni Sisters of the Hidden Village: Prologue
- "she unfastened two shackles, and though only in short decisive battles, Ram demonstrated about twenty percent of her original strength" Arc 6: Chapter 82. Section 1.
- "I will be selfish if I want to. That's why I made a wand out of your horn," Re:Zero Prequel: The Oni Sisters of the Hidden Village: Chapter 4. Section 6.
- "Reinhard, Ram, Regulus, Sekhmet, Puck." askFM Q&A
- "At most, if she couldn't kill him then she wouldn't have killed him, but ended it by just dropping him down the Great Waterfall or something" Arc 6: Chapter 83. Section 3.
- "It seems it would be a school where children around the age of four or five would attend; Ram had gone to something similar back in her home village." Ram and the Night Study Group
- "It was only conjecture, but it seemed likely that Subaru’s place of birth had been in the upper class of a small kingdom, separate from the four great kingdoms."Ram and the Night Study Group
- "A sudden thought occurred to her. It was about the "hiragana" that Subaru had written.“...It feels like I’ve seen it somewhere before.”"Ram and the Night Study Group