Reid Astrea (レイド・アストレア) was the first Sword Saint and a key figure in the sealing of the Witch of Envy 400 years ago.
During the events of Arc 6, Reid acted as the examiner of the 2nd Trial. After getting his name eaten by Roy Alphard, the latter achieved complete rebirth which allowed him to ignore the rules of the trial and freely interact with the outside world. Unfortunately the Sin Archbishop's body did not act as a suitable vessel and Reid's soul shattered before his fight with Julius was concluded but not before announcing Julius' win, hence marking the true end of the First Sword Saint Reid Astrea.
Reid had long red hair, sky blue eyes, and was mentioned to be a head taller than Subaru with a muscular body. He wore a crimson kimono which he only wore half of, leaving the right side uncovered, a white sarashi around his body, and a black eye patch over his left eye that has an ugly pattern.
Reid was shown to have a very frank and rather crude personality, as Subaru was easily able to imitate his method of speech, and tended to speak in short sentences, frequently ending them with you (オメエ omee). However, he had no interest in titles, stating that he was himself, and others were themselves. He was also lustful, mentioning that he would've had Emilia in bed if he was still alive.
Despite being somewhat frank and abstract, Reid was quite smart. He knew the powers of the Authorities to some extent, as he named himself Hauroy Rallior (ハウロイ・ラリオル) when he faced Lye Batenkaitos in Arc 6. In addition to this, he also had a great amount of knowledge regarding how to fight with the sword. Because of this, he had gained the alias as the "Heavenly Sword".
Great Power: As a former Sword Saint and a key figure in the sealing of Satella, Reid had considerable power. He was easily able to defeat Julius and the Arificial Spirit Echidna and would've defeated Emilia if he didn't let his guard down due to his lust. Combined with his prideful and arrogant personality, he was able to overwrite Roy Alphard's Authority of Gluttony, effectively hijacking his body and achieving complete rebirth 400 years after his death; although in his fight against Julius his body began to 'crack' because Roy's body couldn't contain Reid's soul.
Master Swordsman: Reid was known for having peak sword-mastery and the martial arts of his time. As a testament to his peerless skill Reid was called the "Heavenly Sword". To this day, he's one of the most powerful swordsmen that have ever lived as he reached the zenith of swordsmanship, being able to cut beings, objects and magic alike. He was even able to cut Subaru's Authority of Greed with mere chopsticks. His sheer sword skill is said to surpass that of the current Sword Saint Reinhard van Astrea who's stated to be the most powerful character in the series.
- An unnamed sword strike: Reid unleashes a torrential wave of light that engulfs anyone and anything caught in its line of fire, blowing them away. It can cut light, the atmosphere, space and even dimensions and concepts; it is the ultimate goal of sword skill. Despite being a sword strike, Reid is capable of performing this attack even with a pair of ordinary wooden chopsticks. Unlike in Reinhard's case, when Reid performs this technique it does not result in the destruction of the weapon he uses. While strong individuals like Julius have been able to survive this attack, it is generally capable of vaporizing human beings.
- Dragon Sword Reid (龍剣レイド Ryuuken Reido): 400 years ago, Reid received a special sword which was quickly named Dragon Sword after Reid often went on rampages with it, killing numerous dragons with a single swing. The sword is said to be unbreakable and supposedly is able to cut any material, no matter the toughness or density. After Reid's death, the Sword was given to his offsprings who inherited the Divine Protection of the Sword Saint. As a tribute to the achievements Reid had achieved with this legendary weapon, the Sword inherited his name.
- A pair of chopsticks: In arc 6, Reid can be seen with a pair of chopsticks. In his hands, the chopsticks are extremely durable and are able to withstand repeated sword slashes without chipping or breaking despite being made of ordinary wood. Reid even cut Subaru's Authority of Greed with them.
- Despite being a former Sword Saint, Reid didn't have the Divine Protection of the Sword Saint.
- The eyepatch is purely decorative. Both of Reid's eyes are in perfect condition.