The Sacred Vollachia Empire (神聖ヴォラキア帝国), usually referred to as the Vollachia Empire (ヴォラキア帝国), is one of the four great nations of the world. As explained in its name, the Vollachian state considers itself an empire, ruled by the Vollachia family, though importantly, no single bloodline within the extended family controls succession.
Vollachia is the largest known country in the world. Though its geography and boundaries are, for the most part, unspecified, it shares a large northern border with the Kingdom of Lugnica, whom it has historically quarreled with.
As of Arc 7, the Empire has lost its Emperor after the 77th Emperor–Vincent Vollachia–has been forced from his throne and the non-aggression pact between the Dragon Kingdom of Lugnica and the Sacred Empire of Vollachia has been rescinded. The Empire has also entered civil unrest, which might quite possibly escalate into larger conflicts, shaking the core of the nation.
Information[edit | edit source]
Geography[edit | edit source]
The Empire of Vollachia is blessed with fertile soil, mild weather, and the temperature remains relatively the same throughout the year, making it one of the friendliest environments for a person to live.
Population[edit | edit source]
As with the other Four Great Nations, a sizable portion of the population is Human, however, the Empire is known for being home to a large population of various demi-humans which form different clans and tribes. Some of these clans are world renowned for their physical attributes, such as the Multi-Arm Clan which is notorious for their brute strength and thirst for battle. Other clans, such as the Sudrak tribes residing in the Buddheim forest, are in active rebellion, refusing to swear fealty to the emperor.
In the present time, Demon beasts are rare sight in the empire, most likely due to local extermination.
Government[edit | edit source]
Vollachia's government is an Imperial monarchy led by an Emperor, though it is not a monarchy in the traditional sense.
Their flag is a defiant wolf impaled by some swords. Because it is a meritocracy it doesn't place as much weight in race or status compared to other nations making it arguably the one of better places for Demi-humans to live in some respects. However because of its emphasis on ability above all else the weak and disabled are crushed or left behind under it's society.
Vollachia typically has bad relations with Lugnica, resulting in skirmishes between the two countries from time to time. Currently, Vollachia's borders with the Kingdom are closed, not permitting a single citizen of the Kingdom to pass. Following Vincent Vollachia's resignation, the non-aggression pact between the two nations has also been rescinded, as according to the way things are done in the Empire, it is the norm to negate whatever the previous government did, which is opening up a possibility for futher conflicts.
It is also worth noting that their iron-clad rule of "The strong rule over the weak" seeps into every aspect of their society. Most crimes can be pardoned or overlooked, if one is a national hero. After the successful Subjugation of the Black Dragon, a year after the end of the Demi-Human War, Kurgan was pardoned of his crimes of assisting Stride's bloody rampages, due to his title of Vollachia's strongest warrior.
Mages[edit | edit source]
In addition, the Empire has a large number of skilled magic stone craftsmen. It's also worth noting that contrary to the Kingdom, there are only a few Spirit Users spread across the Empire.
Religion[edit | edit source]
The Empire does not follow a set religion, such as their neighboring Kingdom of Lugnica. Instead, the Vollachian people are taught to be strong, as only through raw power, one can rule over others. This philosophy resulted in a population which is built on the principle of "The strong rule over the weak."
Accordingly, many disputes are solved with the use of violence. Different nobles often fight between each other for dominance; when this happens, no one is allowed to intervene as long as they're not directly involved in the said conflict. Even the Imperial throne is up for grabs to whoever can get it (naturally, they must overcome the army, Divine Generals and the Emperor himself, which is no easy feat).
Economics & Currency[edit | edit source]
Vollachia maintains their own currency based solely on gold, or more specifically, gold coins.
Military[edit | edit source]
The nation highly prides itself in having a strong military and has a national creed of "soldiers should always be strong", resulting even in lower ranked soldiers being exceptionally strong.
Due to their militaristic society, Vollachia's Imperial Army is the strongest standing army out of the 4 great powers on the continent.
In Arc 7, Vollachian soldiers are heard using "Vive Vollachia", or "Long Live Vollachia" as a rallying cry.
History[edit | edit source]
- Note: The characters within the story rarely describe historical events within helpful context, so the unit BA, “Before Arrival”, and AA, “After Arrival”, will be used to place moments in time with the best available knowledge. Both are in reference to Natsuki Subaru’s arrival in the new world. In this case, only BA will be used. Also note that the units are not official.
Approximately 400 BA[edit | edit source]
- Vollachia has historically engaged in war with the Kingdom of Lugnica. However, the major periodic wars cease after the king of Lugnica, Farsale Lugnica, makes a covenant with the dragon Volcanica to have him protect Lugnica.
Approximately 40 BA[edit | edit source]
- In an event taking decades before the main story, the Stride Vollachia and his wife summon a three-headed dragon known as the Black Dragon to attack Lugnica in Picoutatte. Hundreds of Kingdom Knights are killed before its eventual subjugation.
- The “Sword Demon” of Lugnica, Wilhelm van Astrea, famously fights Kurgan, Vollachia's strongest warrior, in two battles which came to be known as the Silver Flower Dance of Picoutatte. In the first bout, Wilhelm cuts off Kurgan's arm, though not without taking a heavy injury to his left side of his body. Wilhelm Trias goes on to triumph in the following battle, inflicting mortal wounds on the Vollachia's strongest.
18 BA[edit | edit source]
- Before moving to Lugnica, Al resided in Vollachia, the place he was summoned. There, he learned combat skills working as a gladiator.
15 BA[edit | edit source]
- The warrior Kurgan is slain by the Sin Archbishop of Greed when he attacks and destroys the city of Garkla.
7 BA[edit | edit source]
- Vincent Vollachia becomes the 77th emperor of Vollachia around this time.
6 months BA[edit | edit source]
- Lugnica enters a non-aggression pact with Vollachia.
- During this time, one of the Nine Divine Generals, Balleroy Temeglyph, plans a coup d'état. He fails and is killed.
- The Sword Saint of Lugnica travels to Rupgana, the capital of Vollachia, accompanied by the Royal Guard Julius Juukulius, and knight Ferris. They are there to see the Emperor of Vollachia, who wishes to meet them. The three of them get involved with Balleroy Temeglyph as he is trying to execute his plot and Julius is accused of killing him. However, they are able to prove Julius’ innocence by finding and defeating the true culprit.
Locations[edit | edit source]
Lupghana (ルプガナ Rupugana): Lupghana is the capital of the Empire of Vollachia. The city is completely enclosed within a square-shaped outer wall, and there are no obvious differences in wealth which can be observed with the naked eye in the city, in contrast to the Kingdom's Royal Capital.
- Crystal Palace (水晶宮): The Crystal Palace is the palace where the Emperor of Vollachia resides. Due to magic stones being used throughout the palace in its construction, the interior contains excessive amounts of mana. This excessive amount of mana serves well in both defending the castle and attacking from it, as they render outsiders almost completely unable to use magic while the soldiers situated inside the Palace are completely used to the strains are not bothered by the "debuffs" in the slightest; the Crystal Palace is stated to be borderline impossible to conquer. The palace is said to have a heartbeat and Vincent Vollachia himself confirmed the Palace to be alive, referring to it as some type of a spirit.
Gladiator Island Ginunhive (剣奴孤島ギヌンハイブ): A group of islands located close to Vollachia which belong to the Empire. The islands are infamous for its arenas, where gladiators are pitted against each other or against Demon Beasts. Also, this was the place where Al fled after losing his arm, and where he obtained his helmet.
Garkla (ガークラ, Gaakura): Garkla was a border fortress city located in Vollachia that was known for trade. Despite being one of the most fortified cities in the nation and manned with thousands of troops, it was single-highhandedly destroyed 15 years prior to the story by Regulus Corneas when items which were associated with the witch were put up for sale, which is rumored to be the Artificial Spirit Echidna.
Buddheim (バドハイム, Badohaimu): A settlement in the Empire of Vollachia. Its inhabitants seem to have a darker skin tone. The region is covered by a vast jungle.
Buddheim Jungle (バドハイム密林): A vast jungle that got its name after the settlement of Buddheim, located at the farthest eastern territory of the Empire. It has a thick flora, making it extremely tough to manoeuvre through it and nigh impossible to unravel all its secrets and hidden places.
- Shudrak Clan's Village: Deep in the forest, a settlement belonging to the Shudrak Clan is located. This settlement is inhabited solely by dark-skinned women.
- Graveyard of Emperors: At the edge of the Buddgeim Jungle, overlooking the Great Waterfall, a single cliff is located, where the remains of the nameless monarchs, as well as a tombstone dedicated to them, are located. The location of this place is unknown even to the Imperial Family, and is only known by select and trusted individuals.
Guaral (グァラル, Guararu): Guaral is a heavily fortified Vollachian city, located somewhere near the Buddheim Jungle. According to Subaru, its appearance makes one think that the city's inhabitants are trying to protect themselves from giants.
Faradar (ファラダー, Faradaa): A small village located in the south of Vollachia where the Evil Eye Tribe once lived and a location where Melty Pristis and Salum Pristis lived. However, during the Demi-Human War, the location was destroyed and the Evil Eye Tribe migrated elsewhere. Rumors' says that there are still living Evil Eye members existing.
[edit | edit source]