A timeline of all the known incidents that happened in Re:Zero world.
- 1 Notes
- 2 Unknown/Antiquity
- 3 Early History
- 4 Middle History
- 5 Early Modern History
- 6 Modern History
- 6.1 100 BA
- 6.2 Approximately 50 BA
- 6.3 61 BA
- 6.4 Approximately 60 BA
- 6.5 Approximately 50 to 40 BA
- 6.6 Approximately 48 BA
- 6.7 Approximately 45 BA
- 6.8 Approximately 40 BA
- 6.9 39 BA
- 6.10 29 BA
- 6.11 23 BA
- 6.12 22 BA
- 6.13 21 BA
- 6.14 20 BA
- 6.15 19 BA
- 6.16 18 BA
- 6.17 17 BA
- 6.18 15 BA
- 6.19 14 BA
- 6.20 13 BA
- 6.21 12 BA
- 6.22 10 BA
- 6.23 7 BA
- 6.24 5 BA
- 6.25 2 BA
- 6.26 8 to 9 months BA
- 6.27 4 to 5 months BA
- 6.28 3 to 4 months BA
Notes[edit | edit source]
This timeline is based on the Re:Zero material that is given in both the Anime, Manga, Light Novels and Web Novel.
Be aware that the historical events listed are seldom expanded upon, so details, especially concerning when they may have taken place are not concrete.
The characters within the story rarely describe historical events within helpful context, so the unit BA, “Before Arrival”, and AA, “After Arrival”, will be used to place moments in time with the best available knowledge. Both are in reference to Natsuki Subaru’s arrival in the new world. In this case, only BA will be used. Also, note that the units are not official.
The events that took place at an unspecified time are gathered under "??? BA" section.
Unknown/Antiquity[edit | edit source]
??? BA[edit | edit source]
- Od Laguna appears as a mass of mana located at the heart of the world. From it, various races are born. It is also rumored that Od Laguna is the source of Divine Protections.
- Melakeura –the Arbitrator– makes his home in the territories of what is now the Kingdom of Lugnica.
- Zarestia makes her home in tribal lands now part of the Kararagi City States.
- Muspel –the Stone– ends up in the south of the continent where the Sacred Empire of Vollachia is currently.
- Odglass –the Spirit Beast– moves north to reside on Mountain Pardachia in what would become the Holy Kingdom of Gusteko.
- Regulus Corneas obtains the Witch Factor of Greed, slaughters his family, village and neighbouring cities, joins the Witch Cult and becomes the Sin Archbishop of Greed.
- Emilia is born.
Early History[edit | edit source]
1000+ BA[edit | edit source]
- The first of the Four Great Nations, Vollachia, is founded. Vollachia's system of succession is created to ensure that only the strongest heirs inherit the Imperial throne.
- Odglass makes a contract with an individual that would come to be known as the first Holy King of Gusteko, founding the Second Great Nation. Odglass forever on becomes the sole decider of Gusteko's royal succession.
Approximately 1000 BA[edit | edit source]
The Lugnica dynasty is founded at least a thousand years ago. The Kingdom of Lugnica is soon founded on the eastern regions of the continent, almost immediately coming into conflict with the Empire of Vollachia to its south.
Middle History[edit | edit source]
400+ BA[edit | edit source]
- Roswaal Mathers is born.
- Petelgeuse Romanee-Conti is created.
- Sekhmet, who would come to be the last generation's Witch of Sloth, is born.
- Echidna is born as the last generation's Witch of Greed.
- Carmilla, who would come to be the last generation's Witch of Lust, is born.
- Minerva, who would come to be the last generation's Witch of Wrath, is born.
- Daphne, who would come to be the last generation's Witch of Gluttony, is born.
- Typhon, who would come to be the last generation's Witch of Pride, is born.
- Satella, who would come to be the last generation's Witch of Envy, is presumably born around this time.
- Reid Astrea is born into the Astrea family, later becoming the First Generation's Sword Saint. At an unspecified point in time, he's given the Dragon Sword. The sword's maker is unknown. In the years following Reid's death, the sword would be dubbed the Dragon Sword Reid.
- Flugel arrives in Lugnica.
- The political entity of the Kararagi City States are founded by a man named Hoshin of the Wilderness (荒地のホーシン Arechi no Hooshin), a man speculated to be from the same world as Subaru and Al. He introduced many things similar to Japanese culture to the country.
- Volcanica blesses the grounds of the city of Flanders in Lugnica. The first Earth Dragons are born.
Early Modern History[edit | edit source]
Approximately 400 BA[edit | edit source]
- Daphne creates the the Three Great Demon Beasts.
- The Witch Cult is founded by Petelgeuse Romanee-Conti and another unnamed individual.
- Sanctuary was assaulted by the Warlock of Melancholy in pursuit of the Witch of Greed. However, the witch was able to evoke a barrier in time to fend him off.
- Beatrice is created around this time by Echidna.
- Sekhmet slaughters most of the giant race for unknown reasons.
- Echidna begins to experiment with immortality with the Ryuzu Meyer clones.
- The Great Calamity began with the appearance of the Witch of Envy. Starting from an unknown date and unknown location, the Witch irrationally began destroying the world around her, collapsing most of the old nations and killing many. Her actions also permanently shifted the geography of the world.
- The Sage Flugel, with the combined strengths of his apprentice Shaula, the Divine Dragon Volcanica, and the first Sword Saint Reid Astrea attempted to kill the rampaging Witch of Envy. However, because the Witch is unable to be slain, she was instead sealed away within the vast expanse of the Augria Sand Dunes. Flugel took it upon himself to build the great Pleiades Watchtower and ensure that the Witch would never be freed again.
- One by one, the Witches of Sin die off. Minerva goes crazy in a trap and dies, Carmilla is burned to death, Daphne withers away in the Augria Sand Dunes, Typhon is drowned in Priestella and Sekhmet dies falling from the Great Waterfall whilst fighting against Volcanica. Echidna collects all their souls and releases them into her Sanctuary before she was ultimately sealed off in Sanctuary by Volcanica. Echidna dies shortly thereafter.
- Reid Astrea passes away due to old age. The Sword Reid is passed down to the next Sword Saint. Somehow, the Divine Protection of Sword Saint is created and passes down to the next Sword Saint.
- The Sage Flugel orders Shaula to protect the Pleiades Watchtower. Sometime later, Flugel entrusts Petelgeuse with a box containing the Witch Factor of Sloth.
- Lugnica and its southern neighbour, the Empire of Vollachia were at war. The King of Lugnica at the time –Farsale Lugnica– made a covenant with the Divine Dragon Volcanica to have it protect the Kingdom, bringing the conflict to an end. The pact bound Volcanica to protect the kingdom from any and all external threats.
Modern History[edit | edit source]
100 BA[edit | edit source]
- The Sin Archbishop of Greed, accompanied by the Witch of Vainglory, attacked Elior Forest in search of a mysterious Seal deep within the woods. The Witch directed Kurohebi to the forest to aid their attack, which resulted in the forest being partially destroyed. Many elves were slain by the Radical Faction of the Witch Cult which was present on Regulus' command, during the campaign. The assault ended when a young half-elf named Emilia froze the entire forest in a sudden uncontrolled rage. The forest, Emilia, and all of the remaining elves were left frozen in ice for nearly a century.
Approximately 50 BA[edit | edit source]
- A Royal Princess of the Kingdom of Lugnica, Emerada Lugnica, died at a young age due to a mysterious disease. She never received a proper public burial as she was heavily disliked by her nation, due to her cruel and sadistic personality.
61 BA[edit | edit source]
- Wilhelm Trias is born.
Approximately 60 BA[edit | edit source]
- Previous Sword Saint, Theresia van Astrea is born.
Approximately 50 to 40 BA[edit | edit source]
- A near decade long civil war, straightforwardly named the Demi-Human War, rocked the Kingdom to its core. The civil war was more accurately described as a massive rebellion that pitted the Demi-Human minority based in the eastern lands of the Kingdom of Lugnica’s territory against the human majority who dominated the Kingdom. Prior to the outbreak of the fighting, the racial tensions between the humans of Lugnica and the Demi-races had been long established and long simmering. Due to the actions of the Witch of Envy hundreds of years ago, Half-Elves and other half races were considered to be heretical, with the prejudice soon extending to the relatively related Demi-Humans. These racial tensions had continued to grow for 350 years. Sometime later, a village of Demi-Humans became involved in a small conflict with a human village. However, during negotiations, the human representatives were slaughtered, leading both sides to blame each other for the murders, contributing to more confusion and violence.
- This event would be the spark that would ignite the war. Starting with the rebellion of several tribes in the east, the rebellion continued to spread across the entire kingdom to the point of a bloody stalemate. Through the efforts of people such as the Sword Saint Theresia van Astrea, and Wilhelm Trias, nicknamed the “Sword Demon” for his absolute ruthlessness on the battlefield, the stalemate eventually turned against the Demi-Humans. The Demi-Humans eventually admitted that it wouldn't benefit anyone to continue the fighting, although they still claimed not to be the responsible party for the initial assassinations that set the whole thing off ten years prior.
- The trauma of the horror and violence of the civil war still existed deep within the general population of Lugnica, both human and Demi-Human. As none of the many issues that caused the war were truly ever resolved by the end of the fighting, people in the current day still harbor major prejudice against the half-races, even if it isn't spoken aloud.
- Something to be mentioned is that over the course of the civil war, the “Sword Demon” Wilhelm Trias, and the Sword Saint, Theresia van Astrea, met each consistently, starting with the first encounter in an abandoned construction yard in the Royal Capital. Over the course of three months, Wilhelm began to re-evaluate his life of cynicism and violence through connecting with Theresia. He later met her again, but this time on the battlefield, where Theresia saved Wilhelm's life. Wilhelm started to both envy and admire Theresia’s swordsmanship and beauty. Beginning to realize the implication and duty of Theresia’s tragic destiny, he resolved to free her from her obligation as the Sword Saint. They would not meet again for the following two years.
Approximately 48 BA[edit | edit source]
- Battle of Castour Field. Demi-humans ambushed and routed the Royal Army in one of the first major engagements of the war. An entire squad was wiped out with the exception of two soldiers, one of them being Wilhelm, due to following his intuition and pushing forward.
Approximately 45 BA[edit | edit source]
- Battle of Aihiya Swamp. Demi-humans destroyed three Human armies in the largest and deadliest battle of the war.
Approximately 40 BA[edit | edit source]
- At the celebrations for the second anniversary of the end of the civil war, Wilhelm Trias returned to “save” Theresia van Astrea from the potentially tainting life of being the Sword Saint. He proposed to her in the most Wilhelmian manner, a sword duel, and the next year, they were married. Wilhelm Trias took his wife’s surname to become Wilhelm van Astrea, and for some time after, the Sword Saint role was temporarily retired to allow Theresia to live a married life. Sometime after, Heinkel Astrea, the future deputy commander of the elite Royal Guard, was born.
- Soon after the end of the Demi-Human War, the Sin Archbishop of Pride began a campaign of secretive movements against the Kingdom of Lugnica. At first in secret, as mentioned before, and then in earnest once the Sword Saint Theresia van Astrea was confirmed to be pregnant. The incident culminated in the summoning of the "Black Dragon" that might have destroyed the country if it were not for the intervention of the Divine Dragon Volcanica for the first time in centuries.
39 BA[edit | edit source]
- Ricardo Welkin is born.
29 BA[edit | edit source]
- Roswaal L Mathers is born.
23 BA[edit | edit source]
22 BA[edit | edit source]
21 BA[edit | edit source]
- Julius Juukulius is born.
- Frederica Baumann is born.
20 BA[edit | edit source]
- Otto Suwen is born in Picoutatte.
- Crusch Karsten is born.
19 BA[edit | edit source]
- The current Sword Saint, Reinhard van Astrea, is born.
- Ferris Argyle is born.
18 BA[edit | edit source]
- Aldebaran, better known as Al, is teleported to the new world around this time.
17 BA[edit | edit source]
15 BA[edit | edit source]
- The Sin Archbishop of Greed single-handedly took down a heavily fortified Vollachian city of Garkla, housing thousands of soldiers and the Vollachian hero Kurgan. The city was rumoured to be housing a Meteor supposedly belonging to one of the six Witches, at that time.
14 BA[edit | edit source]
- Garfiel Tinsel is born.
- The Sword Saint –Theresia van Astrea– joined by a company of knights, was sent on an expedition to subjugate the Hakugei that had appeared in the country around that time. However, the mission ended catastrophically and Theresia was not among the few remaining survivors to return. This would be later be remembered as the First Great Expedition.
- Reinhard van Astrea became the current generation's Sword Saint at the age of 5. His inheritance of the Divine Protection of the Sword Saint came at a rather unfortunate time, as the sudden transfer of power resulted in his grandmother and previous generation's Sword Saint losing her powers mid-battle with the White Whale, unintentionally leading to her death.
- The infant daughter of Ford Lugnica, the brother to the 41st king, Randohal, was kidnapped by thieves who had snuck into his castle undetected. The child was never recovered. Supposedly, someone within the elite Royal Guard allowed the intruders to escape just as they were about to be caught. The incident and even the existence of the child was not publicly known, but the kidnapping of the royal baby would have major consequences within the internal society of the Royal Guards. It is one of few events not recorded in the Dragon Tablet.
13 BA[edit | edit source]
- Disturbing rumors about House Argyle, concerning the alleged abuse and torture of Ferris Argyle by his own father, Biehn Argyle, were investigated by Duke Karsten and his daughter, Crusch Karsten. The result of the investigation lead to the Argyle family being ruined, losing all of their territories and assets, save for one piece of uncultivated land, which effectively stripped them of their nobility.
12 BA[edit | edit source]
- Petra Leyte is born.
10 BA[edit | edit source]
- The last Oni Village was raided and destroyed by the Witch Cult. All of the residing Oni were massacred, with the exception of the Oni sisters, Rem and Ram, who now reside in the domain of Roswaal L Mathers.
7 BA[edit | edit source]
- Puck, a spirit created by the Witch of Greed, unfroze Emilia in Elior Forest and began to act as her friend and mentor.
- The incident that would be known as the “Day of Red Earth and Sky" occurred when Melakuera, the reigning Great Spirit of Fire, attacked the Elior Forest in search of the “half-witch” Emilia. The spirit accompanying Emilia, Puck, protected her and battled Melakuera. Melakuera lost the battle and perished, with Puck inheriting the title of the Great Spirit of Fire.
5 BA[edit | edit source]
- The Fourtour Plains in Lugnica were ravaged by the Great Rabbit and the surrounding villages were forced to evacuate. Duke Karsten and his retainers fought it in battle, but he sustained injuries. The 17-year-old Crusch Karsten arrived later with Ferris Argyle, along with another contingent of soldiers, and managed to drive the creature out.
- Hannah Argyle, the wife of the ruined Biehn Argyle, died suddenly. Lord Argyle, already a pariah in Lugnican society, began to delve deeper into depravity with his illegal research into resurrection. It would only be much later when it was discovered that Biehn had brutally murdered his wife; the reason is unknown, but frenetic stab wounds suggest an intense argument of some kind.
2 BA[edit | edit source]
- All members of the royal family begin to die en masse due to the same unknown disease that supposedly killed Princess Emerada.
- Ferris Argyle became a Kingdom Knight and entered the Royal Guard via a recommendation by the Royal Institute of Healing, as his Divine Protection of Water granted him incredible healing powers critical to the operations of the military. His appointment to the Royal Guard was further influenced by a recommendation by his close friend, the 4th Prince of Lugnica, Fourier Lugnica.
- Biehn Argyle was discovered to have been communicating with a foreign operative from Vollachia in order to obtain slaves for human experimentation. House Karsten once again took up the task of investigating the Argyle family and the following events led to a clash at Argyle estate between the Karsten militia and Biehn's corpse soldiers, the result of his resurrection experiments. Biehn briefly managed to complete the act of resurrection on his wife, only for her to strangle him to death. The last living person in the mansion, the sole maid Hannah Regret, locked herself in the room with Biehn and his wife as the mansion burned down in the aftermath of the battle. The event was covered up and the residents of the Argyle manor were officially declared to have died by an accidental fire.
- As with the case with the rest of the royal family, Fourier Lugnica fell ill to the mysterious epidemic. His father, King Randohal Lugnica, also became ill around this time. The royal family was effectively paralyzed.
8 to 9 months BA[edit | edit source]
- Prince Fourier Lugnica and the rest of the Royal Family peacefully died after a month-long struggle with a mysterious illness. With a final dream of marriage, he peacefully passed away in the lap of Crusch Karsten, the woman he loved. Ferris officially became Crusch's knight and Crusch officially began her bid for the Royal Selection, very much influenced by the prince’s death.
- The total extinction of the known Lugnica royal family led to the abolition of the covenant between the Kingdom of Lugnica and the Divine Dragon Volcanica and the potential power vacuum threatened to become a nationwide emergency. The Council of Elders, led by Prime Minister Miklotov McMahon, assumed control of the government and scrambled to deal with the issue of succession. Crusch was the first of five candidates discovered to have the qualifications to potentially be Lugnica's new ruler as signified by the Dragon Insignia. She immediately moved to meet the “Sword Demon” Wilhelm van Astrea, now an old, though capable man, and invited him into her camp in exchange for House Karsten's assistance in hunting the Hakugei that killed his wife.
- Roswaal L Mathers met Emilia and Puck. After Puck and Roswaal battled for what was said to be half a day, Emilia defused the situation and accepted Roswaal's invitation to his mansion after he showed her the Dragon Insignia and enticed her into joining the Royal Selection to “free the elves”.
- Priscilla Barielle, the daughter of Vollachian Emperor Drizen Vollachia, and the young wife of the prominent lord Leip Barielle, was discovered to be another ruler candidate. A tournament was held for her to choose her personal knight out of fifty. Surprisingly, a former gladiator by the name of Aldebaran was picked, despite not finishing in the top four.
- Shortly after, Leip became indisposed after "mysteriously" going into shock and later died. As the sole inheritor, Priscilla gained control over his territory. The domain miraculously prospered thanks to her divine luck.
4 to 5 months BA[edit | edit source]
- A coup d'etat nearly occurs in Vollachia in which the 77th Emperor, Vincent Vollachia, is briefly and accidentally kidnapped from his throne by Lugnican diplomats, almost allowing conspirators Balleroy Temeglyph and Gramdart Holstoy to seize the throne. The plot is uncovered, and Vincent, for the briefest moment, is returned to the imperial title.
- The Kingdom of Lugnica entered a non-aggression pact with Vollachia.
3 to 4 months BA[edit | edit source]
- Roughly a month after the incident in the Empire, 1st ranking Divine General Cecilus Segmunt and the 4th ranking Divine General Chisha Gold enter the Kingdom's territory, in search of Gramdart Holstory–the culprit behind the failed coup. After several days of searching, Cecilus locates the fugitive viscount and takes him into custody. Before leaving, however, Cecilus was given permission for a sparring match with the Sword Saint Reinhard van Astrea. The winner of the duel is unknown.